A&H

Can I make a living from refereeing?

If you have a car with good MPG then maybe.

I'll make £80 this weekend, but most of the money is coming from mileage. That pays for fuel and then some because my car is fuel effective. So for March, 5 weekends and that would be £400, minus £50 to fill the car up eventually and that's £350 for the month.

However, that needs me to be booked Saturday and Sunday. It also needs me to booked some distance away. I wouldn't rely on it as a sole income, it's a nice bit of extra change I suppose, but not much more than that.

For one thing, you're at the mercy of the weather!

But even in an ideal world, assuming you did a youth match in the morning, adults match (or two adult matches on the afternoon/evening slot), then Sunday League/Dev/Ladies league... Your legs probably wouldn't forgive you if you did that regularly and you'd be so mentally exhausted I don't think you'd referee very well.
Mileage covers more than fuel, it also covers for maintenance, insurance and other motoring related costs. The HMRC currently allow 45p per mile for this so being paid any less and not claiming rest from mr taxman you arr, overall, being short changed on mileage

The Referee Store
Yep, Tax: rates per business mile. Your employee travels 12,000 business miles in their car - the approved amount for the year would be £5,000 (10,000 x 45p plus 2,000 x 25p). It doesn't matter if your employee uses more than one vehicle in a year - it's all calculated together.

Mileage covers more than fuel, it also covers for maintenance, insurance and other motoring related costs. The HMRC currently allow 45p per mile for this so being paid any less and not claiming rest from mr taxman you arr, overall, being short changed on mileage

We have been proposing a rise in the mileage, but unfortunately, being out in the sticks it is getting voted down as too cost-prohibitive for the clubs. :devil:

If im not working Saturday or Sunday il generally do two games on each day, £26 a game x 4 is £104, you do that every weekend and £416.

Think most people i know who ref have a job and this is a second income, you couldn't make a living out of it with a mortgage and family but its useful pocket money.

The pay rates where I work games near Washington D.C. are slightly different. But clearly I'm just an imposter here. Hmmm...

But you can't claim tax relief up to 45p as it's not from employment. If you go down that route, you'll then be asked to declare the income from refereeing and get taxed on that.

Currently refereeing up to Level 2B is considered voluntary work and referees are paid expenses only. HMRC have looked at it a few times and the general feedback was that the costs of being a ref are offset by the match fee and mileage.

But you can't claim tax relief up to 45p as it's not from employment. If you go down that route, you'll then be asked to declare the income from refereeing and get taxed on that.

Currently refereeing up to Level 2B is considered voluntary work and referees are paid expenses only. HMRC have looked at it a few times and the general feedback was that the costs of being a ref are offset by the match fee and mileage.
Depends how much you earn. I declare my earnings as less expenses I earn more than the 1k threshold. If you earn less than 1k then I believe you don't need to declare it.

Back