A&H

C2 dissent and C4 delaying

Kent Ref

RefChat Addict
For me there is a fine line between C2 dissent and C4 when the ball is kicked away.

Yesterday a player (under 16s) was through on goal but was given offside (correctly).

The keeper was about to place the ball for the free kick when the same attacker kicked the ball 30 yards away.

I gave this as a C4 but could be interpreted as a C2 sin bin for dissent.

Where do you all draw the line here?

For me it's a very grey area.

The Referee Store
For me there is a fine line between C2 dissent and C4 when the ball is kicked away.

Yesterday a player (under 16s) was through on goal but was given offside (correctly).

The keeper was about to place the ball for the free kick when the same attacker kicked the ball 30 yards away.

I gave this as a C4 but could be interpreted as a C2 sin bin for dissent.

Where do you all draw the line here?

For me it's a very grey area.
Done just after the decision is given, I'd generally interpret it as dissent. Done just before the opponent is about to place the ball/take the free kick, I'd generally deem it delaying the restart. Anything in between is very much a case of YHTBT, but there will be some clues - anything said by the player, if they're looking at you as they do it, any previous attempts to try and delay restarts etc.

Simples. Why did he do it? To me it sounds like he did it because he didn't like the offside decision and he was protesting the decision. C2 right? true it also delayed the restart but look into the context.

C4 usually comes when they do it to stop a quick free kick to either stop a counter or waste time.

Seen plenty of C4 incidents when a player skies the ball away a few seconds after an offside decision... Wouldn't consider this C2 as his main priority is to delay restart, rather than protest the offside (especially when no frustration is shown regarding the decision).

I'd go C4 most of the time unless you can see/feel/sense the "unacceptable" frustration in his reaction to your decision.

Back