A&H

Bycicle kick gone wrong

Aled

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
Imagine this, a player attempts a bicycle kick, the player makes contact with the ball but then kicks an opponent in the face afterward. Ball flies into the top corner. What do you do?

The Referee Store
If it affects how an opponent can play the ball due to the danger, it's an ifk. if contact, it's direct. So no goal and foul. Almost certainly a card of some description.

An (attempted) bicycle kick where an opposition player is challenging for the ball is always going to be a foul - even if the opposition player is doing the exactly the same thing, in which case it's 2 fouls!

Where an opposition player spots the imminent bicycle kick and thinks to themselves "not going near that, might get hurt" and watches the bicycle kick - then maybe it's a 50:50 call ...
  • No foul - no other players were too close to get hurt
  • Yes foul - the likelihood of hurt prevented the player challenging for the ball
... obviously preferable (easier sell of a decision) where 2 players are challenging for the ball ... equally preferable though that no-one gets hurt !!

Bicycle kicks are fine provided they are not dangerous, i.e. in a congested penalty box.
The secret is to blow the whistle before the ball fries into the back of the net!

Would nobody here give a red card for serious foul play? Surely it endangers an opponents safety, especially if kicked in the face

Would nobody here give a red card for serious foul play? Surely it endangers an opponents safety, especially if kicked in the face

You do it first - disallow the goal - send the player off ... and then tell us how it went down with everyone ;)

In Law - you are correct ... but ... that might exceed my "brave decision scale" !!

I'm not sure, I've always wondered why bicycle kicks are allowed but high feet aren't, I guess it's all to do with the game as a spectacle but other than that, I don't see a difference
"High feet" and bicycle kicks are both allowed as long as they don't endanger an opponent.

"High feet" and bicycle kicks are both allowed as long as they don't endanger an opponent.
Yeah, sorry :rolleyes:
What I meant was, the amount of times that I have seen an overhead kick in the middle of a crowded box which puts other players in danger, go un punished, makes me wonder if a directive has been sent out to the higher level refs to allow overhead kicks cause they make the game more exciting. I'm not sure really.

@HullRef - wasn't having a pop - rather than something I kept hearing last night at a pre-season game ...

Twice I penalised players for having a foot the same height as an opposing player's - but - the angle of the foot was such that his studs were facing forward vs the opponent's whose food was horizontal ... no contact - IDFK each time

I'll admit sometimes to being in awe of very skilful / clever play that is probably not allowed - and letting it go while drooling with jealousy!

If there is a defending player within striking distance of an attempted overhead kick, then the player attempting the overhead kick must know there was a strong possibility contact might be made with the defending player..... so therefore WHISTLE !! and then an IDFK

I have a vague recollection of Duncan Ferguson scoring from a spectacular bicyle kick for Scotland vs Germany some years ago and the goal being disallowed - does anyone else remember this?

Bicycle kick is allowed provided it does not endanger an opponent. If there's any chance of endangering an opponent then it's an IDFK or DFK in the event of contact. In the scenario you describe I'm disallowing the goal, awarding a DFK to the opposition and considering a caution/dismissal depending on the exact nature of the incident.

Back