A&H

Burnley v man utd

N416405

Waterman
Nonsense from VAR.
There was no impact from the Maguire offside decision.
Surely a player blocked has got to be at least close to challenging for the ball?

The Referee Store
You will need to put some context into it, there are three live EPL games on tonight and I would hazard a guess that Burnley vs Man Utd is probably the least appealing to watch, especially for neutrals.

It was on when I got in, so assumed it was on main sports.
Man utd free kick, defence lined up on the edge of third box, Maguire goes too soon into an offside position and stops. Free kick headed in from 6yds out by Varane.
VAR see's that Maquire "blocked" defender.
Neither defender nor Maquire appeared to "block" and both stood on edge of box watching whilst goal scored.
I couldn't see Maguire making any attempt to block, likewise I couldn't see the defender trying to get back to challenge for the ball.
If this is now the norm, then defenders will only need to touch the attacker (who's offside) to get a free kick. On the plus side, it will make attackers line up so that they're onside from the kick.

Think we will need to see a replay once available as I'm struggling to picture it. What is the "edge of the third box"?

Maguire blocked a defender from making his run, whilst in an offside position. Mike Dean gave it as offside due to that.

I didn't see an issue with it, from the VAR clip I saw, it looks like Maguire deliberately walks into the path of the defender and even shoulders him to block him off.

Spell checker - don't know where "third" came from - penalty area.

The "offence" (Maquire doesn't even look at the player) is both minor and too far from the eventual play for me.

It's basically the same as the Villa v Utd goal in the FA Cup that was disallowed.

But in this situation, Maguire's block was on a player that defo was not contesting for the ball nor would have got anywhere near it.

Minute of the game please. Was the contact? Was the restart DFK or IFK? Wondering if the offence was impeding...

It's basically the same as the Villa v Utd goal in the FA Cup that was disallowed.

But in this situation, Maguire's block was on a player that defo was not contesting for the ball nor would have got anywhere near it.
Not sure I agree with your last sentence. He was 2 yards behind the player and probably would have been jumping with him.

I'm at a loss to understand how anyone can complain with the decision. Burnley player was within 2 yards of Varane, on edge of penalty area, when he was blocked by Maguire in an offside position, as the FK was taken. Surely the Burnley player could have been involved if he was not blocked???

1644399448516.png

Just seen this. I don't see the assertion that the defender couldn't challenge for the ball. He had every chance of challenging for it had he not been impeded.

I'm a Utd fan and can't see the issue with the offside being given, especially as we benefited from exactly the same against Villa. Teams deliberately line up to block the run of defenders and if it stops that from happening then surely it's a fairer game for all.

Correct decision.

• a player moving from, or standing in, an offside position is in the way of an
opponent and interferes with the movement of the opponent towards the ball
this is an offside offence if it impacts on the ability of the opponent to play or
challenge for the ball; if the player moves into the way of an opponent and
impedes the opponent’s progress (e.g. blocks the opponent), the offence
should be penalised under Law 12

The player is literally parallel to where the ball ends up and save for Maguires interference had every chance to challenge for the ball.

I'd argue this a law 12 offence anyway, impeding progress of opponent by contact however its never getting given at this level on VAR review when the easier to sell decision is offside.

The world would go mad if this was on field reviewed as a foul.

Absolutely correct decision. Is he stood offside? Yes. Did he impact on the ability to play the ball? Of course he did, he was touch tight and almost leaning into him.

Not sure I agree with your last sentence. He was 2 yards behind the player and probably would have been jumping with him.
Ah I watched it on my phone last night. With that still I see it now. Yeah, probably could have cleared the ball, especially as he is closer to goal too.

I thought it was the player more central that scored.

As I recall, being in OSP at free kicks has been a point of emphasis at the top level due to a strategy of placing OSP players. My sense is that the instructions at the level have been to be very tight on these calls.

I can only see the still (video geo-blocked), but from that it seems like a pretty easy call as we really can't tell where he is going to end up and what he would be able to challenge for as his progress is stopped as the ball is kicked. (I also agree with @JamesL that it may be that impeding is a better call as impeding with contact is a more serious (DFK) offense.)

Back