A&H

Burnley v Brighton

GraemeS

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
Just me who was surprised VAR didn't get involved around the push preceeding the Burnley goal?

The Referee Store
I think the threshold for VAR getting involved has gone much higher this season and they are enforcing a more true 'clear and obvious error'. I don't mind this even though it looks inconsistent with previous seasons VAR.

Was it a clear and obvious error? There were other incidents where VAR didn't get involved in match day one, the more notable one being Brentford's second goal vs Arsenal.

I think the threshold for VAR getting involved has gone much higher this season and they are enforcing a more true 'clear and obvious error'. I don't mind this even though it looks inconsistent with previous seasons VAR.

Was it a clear and obvious error? There were other incidents where VAR didn't get involved in match day one, the more notable one being Brentford's second goal vs Arsenal.
For me, this is a clear push that I would hope to catch when refereeing solo! It should have been caught live, was on the right side that the AR could have helped and I'm definitely surprised VAR didn't come in and bail them out.

"Higher bar" is one thing, but we tried this in England when VAR was first introduced and it just meant that VAR almost never got used, and then felt inconsistent and picky on the occasions when it was. For me this is an example of an easy win for VAR. It's clearly a push, it's clearly had a material effect because the man marking the goalscorer has been pushed over and it would have been an easy sell. If they're not using it for this then what will it be used for?

I'd expected this incident to look worse than this. As usual, the defender is paying zero attention to the ball, so it could be argued that he impeded or obstructed Tachovsky. Not the level of C&O that would satisfy my 'high bar'. The fewer VAR interventions, the better; because then we're steering away from re-refereeing. It's just a question of whether the PGMOL can remain reasonably consistent with this new approach

I would concede that the problem always comes back to subjectivity. Is this a foul? Probably. Is it C&O? Nobody can agree on that. Is it easier to just accept that the Ref missed this probable foul, rather than the VAR ignore it based on a deeper level of subjectivity? Absolutely
Number of problems solved = 0
Number of problems created = 1

It seemed (on match day 1), that the Broadcasters were not showing replays of tight offside calls, not until the game had restarted at least. That's gotta be a good thing I'd say

Last edited:
If you are giving that push I think impeding progress of opponent happens first.
If ref gives it I am happy with that. That's what he saw, but I'm not having VAR wading in here at all.

ref not looking at it, he is focussed on front post, ref has not seen it
AR will have best view on this one, had the AR got involved, fine, no goal
As it is, am ok with a goal too, certainly happy to go with whatever onfield call was made

Attachments

• 9A43D97E-118C-422D-913A-CD16B963FF83.png
    9A43D97E-118C-422D-913A-CD16B963FF83.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 16
The West Ham PK is similar in that I think it's a Refereeing mistake, however, the challenge was scruffy and there was no place for VAR to interfere
I was more curious about encroachment because players from both teams were leant heavily inside the PA (including the goalscorer) when the PK was taken. However, again, I don't want a busy VAR with this either even though they once were

I didn't open a new thread because the subject is this season's 'New VAR'

Last edited:
For offsides, it looks like we're applying the old daylight rule that never was.
Arsene Wenger proposed a rule change where all of the attackers body needed to be offside. IMO this screenshot from the German Super Cup says why this is a bad idea.

DrVzhNZ.png

If this becomes onside then it shifts the benefit to the attacking team way too much. Defenses would have no choice but to play much deeper and keep everything in front of them because fast wingers/forwards could get almost a meter advantage on them and still be onside.

Back