A&H

Burnley Barnes

That's the idiocy we need to get out of the game...'passion'....what an absolute load of crap.
Every sport is passionate. No sport encourages abuse.
And it's not even about 'putting up with it'. So many things about this sport actively encourage abuse.

Including idiotic comments like that - I mean, if screaming F*** OFF at the AR is showing passion, then that implies the screaming abuse is a good thing - after all, passion is a positive quality on the field!!

Last week I spoke about wanting refs like Walton to get more involved in their analysis on tv. Well talk about getting what you wish for! The FA have the respect campaign and try all that good work to try to reduce dissent and then we have a player clearly telling the AR to "**** off" three times and scream in his face. Walton insinuates that referees allow initial abuse because of "passion" and may award a yellow for secondary dissent! Firstly, that is completely contrary to the LOTG and secondly, he doesn't even consider the possibility of a red card for OFFINABUS.

Staggering comments and admissions. Throw your respect campaign in the bin. Accept all initial abuse as passion, maybe award a yellow card for secondary abuse. I understand that Walton is talking in the context of a PL match but OFFINABUS should be dealt with strictly at any level if you want to stamp about abuse towards referees. Its actions not words that indicate the seriousness in which a governing body wants to deal with any issue and this to me is confirmation, if ever it was needed, that referee abuse is accepted and actively tolerated at the top.

I hope that someone comes out this week and clesrly explains to the public that such abuse from Barnes should be a red card but I won't hold my breath. Walton has inadvertently set back any campaign to reduce dissent towards officials imo.

The Referee Store
I haven't heard or seen anything that indicates the Respect campaign is anything other than pointless tokenistic garbage in place of actually doing something

I haven't heard or seen anything that indicates the Respect campaign is anything other than pointless tokenistic garbage in place of actually doing something

Agree but at the very least it's a vague and relatively unsuccessful attempt to reduce abuse towards officials. Mr Waltons comments actively endorse it (obviously not his intention).

I honest feel Taylor should be facing a charge for bringing the game into disrepute

Embarrassingly poor standard from an elite referee

In a week this forum ran 4 pages over a seemingly innocent, but unsporting act by KBD in the City game caused debate, compare that to an x rated rant, complete with windmill arms, totally spreading jobby on both match officials from a great height, and well, somebody needs a good long look at themselves in the mirror

Taylor has now set a bar for what he classes as dissent, far less offensive, in his games to come.

Am seething I witnessed that on tv this morning. I hope he cries into his sunday roast at the damage he has caused his plankton esq colleagues today

Batman was right. With great power, comes responsibility. And Taylor abused his. And let down xx million match officials in the process
I went to a meeting few weeks ago and a premiership ref was asked about the abuse that everyone on telly
including children can see, why nothing is being done, not naming the ref or the sponsors but they have been
told to have more patients with this kind of behaviour. In other words its all about £££££££££££££

If Mr Barnes bus was two min late and he got on bus and acted in front of the driver the way he did in front of the AR he would be banned from bus travel forever and possibly reported to police as harrassement of driver and threatening behaviour
Same if the girl at the Tesco till short changed him, banned from shop and reported
Or started on the teacher at his sons parents evening

Do it on football field? Acceptable

I went to a meeting few weeks ago and a premiership ref was asked about the abuse that everyone on telly
including children can see, why nothing is being done, not naming the ref or the sponsors but they have been
told to have more patients with this kind of behaviour. In other words its all about £££££££££££££

I am well aware of the score. This though went above what was ignorable.

I've been in a room where this question was also asked to a current professional referee and the response was similar. Quite frankly, whoever advisors their employees to be more tolerant of verbal abuse (whilst at the same time running campaigns to attempt to reduce such abuse) isn't fit for such a role.

I am a manager at quite a large construction site and I can't go around campaigning for an increase in workplace safety whilst also telling the guys to be more tolerant of those who work unsafely!

Just for clarity, am i right in saying that the Respect Campaign is purely an FA initiative, but the Premier League Referees get there directives from the PGMOL and not the FA? The FA then don't have the power to retrospectively punish this behaviour because of their own lenient and arbitrary set of rules?
All of that is a question

It was in a book, maybe Halseys I can't remember exactly, but the run down was that Premier League clubs don't what their 500k a week striker banned because a referee doesn't like being sworn at.

The respect Campaign is just words, you can't affect real change in football without it filtering down from the top.

There is no appetite for this at the top level because of the amount of money the premier league filter down the pyramid, they don't want to risk losing that income.

Last week I spoke about wanting refs like Walton to get more involved in their analysis on tv. Well talk about getting what you wish for! The FA have the respect campaign and try all that good work to try to reduce dissent and then we have a player clearly telling the AR to "**** off" three times and scream in his face. Walton insinuates that referees allow initial abuse because of "passion" and may award a yellow for secondary dissent! Firstly, that is completely contrary to the LOTG and secondly, he doesn't even consider the possibility of a red card for OFFINABUS.

Staggering comments and admissions. Throw your respect campaign in the bin. Accept all initial abuse as passion, maybe award a yellow card for secondary abuse. I understand that Walton is talking in the context of a PL match but OFFINABUS should be dealt with strictly at any level if you want to stamp about abuse towards referees. Its actions not words that indicate the seriousness in which a governing body wants to deal with any issue and this to me is confirmation, if ever it was needed, that referee abuse is accepted and actively tolerated at the top.

I hope that someone comes out this week and clesrly explains to the public that such abuse from Barnes should be a red card but I won't hold my breath. Walton has inadvertently set back any campaign to reduce dissent towards officials imo.

That Zaha and Barnes comparison is absoloutely spot on.

Are there any videos of this incident floating bout out there? I haven't seen it as yet

Update, Mark Clattenburg says Taylor used common sense in not taking action as he knew he had messed up the original incident and did not want to make it worse

Well thats ok then, free range for players to abuse you when making the wrong call

Am starting to believe had he decapitated the AR, Barnes would still have escaped a sanction

It was in a book, maybe Halseys I can't remember exactly, but the run down was that Premier League clubs don't what their 500k a week striker banned because a referee doesn't like being sworn at.

The respect Campaign is just words, you can't affect real change in football without it filtering down from the top.

There is no appetite for this at the top level because of the amount of money the premier league filter down the pyramid, they don't want to risk losing that income.

I get what you & others are saying but really - no one on this earth is going to lose a penny piece by Mr Ashley Barnes being sent off - hardly a global icon is he?!:p On a more serious note Zaha, Crystal Palace and Hodgson are all 'bigger' than Barnes, Burnley and Dyche - so that reasoning, in this instance doesn't really work.

Update, Mark Clattenburg says Taylor used common sense in not taking action as he knew he had messed up the original incident and did not want to make it worse

Well thats ok then, free range for players to abuse you when making the wrong call

Am starting to believe had he decapitated the AR, Barnes would still have escaped a sanction

Well I do see the logic in that comment from MC, and TO AN EXTENT - we all do that. Loud dissent about a throw in and you're having a word - dissent about a 50/50 penalty call - we let it 'die down' if we can. Mentioned this before, but at QPR earlier in the season ref missed a player getting his face rearranged by a high boot - injured player jumped up and shouted in referee's face 'Have you seen my f***ing face' or words to that effect - now it would take a brave/stupid referee to caution for dissent.

Just to say in this instance I DO agree with you here - minimum should have been 2nd yellow but easily enough to justify a red.

My point is that we all DO gauge dissent/OFFINBUS based on circumstances to an extent - but I agree, that shouldn't have been the case here.

I'm sure alot of the players in the Superbowl are on money that dwarfs even the top PL players. If any of them went up to an official and did what Ashley Barnes did can you imagine the consequences.

Did anyone see the documentary on that stadium, 1.3 Billion pounds I think, I'm sure they've got some serious tech on their VAR!!

I cant recall actually being offended by an officials actions for a long time

See things diff, get them wrong, miss an offside, give a dodgy handball , fine, each and every one does that on a reg basis

But to publicallly insult the entire refereeing movement, nevermind treat your fellow official like ****e on a shoe, and am sorry for those words but in this case they are entirely justified, borders on scandal and a disgrace to the badge.

Disgusting. Vomit enducing.

Back