A&H

Broke my watch! Grr...

biffnix

Joe Griego
Level 7 Referee
I've used my Casio RFT-100 for five years now, and it's been flawless. Haven't even had to change the battery yet. It's the best referee watch I've ever used, but now it's broken. Was refereeing a high school playoff match last weekend, and took a hard clearance ball right to the wrist, of all darned things. The strike drove the watch into my wrist, cut me, and pulled the band right off, bending the steel spring-loaded pin that holds the band to the body. When it pulled out, it scored a deep scratch that goes from the hole in the body to the edge of the body, and now even with a replacement pin, it just keeps pulling out at the lightest touch. Sigh. Can't think of a way to fix the deep gouge in the body so that the pin will stay in. I'm bummed, because I can get a replacement band, but can't fix the scored body.

So, I bit the bullet and bought a Spintso referee watch. Ordered it last Thursday, so I won't see it in hand until later this week, I think. I've got a girls' high school playoff match tomorrow, so I'll be using an alternate watch. Guess I'll let you guys know how the Spintso works after I get it...

Any ideas on how to fix a plastic watch body so I can resurrect my Casio RFT-100? I do love that watch...

The Referee Store
hmmmm, not sure how the plastic on that watch would react to this, but i had similar once with a much cheaper watch.

Put it back together, heat the end of a paper clip, darning needle, or similar, and use the hot tip to melt the plastic back around/over the gouge. Steady hand needed, and it will never be as strong and sturdy as before, but should do the trick.

Give it a go, if it works you can re-direct the delivery of the Spintso to me..... :rolleyes:

hmmmm, not sure how the plastic on that watch would react to this, but i had similar once with a much cheaper watch.

Put it back together, heat the end of a paper clip, darning needle, or similar, and use the hot tip to melt the plastic back around/over the gouge. Steady hand needed, and it will never be as strong and sturdy as before, but should do the trick.

Give it a go, if it works you can re-direct the delivery of the Spintso to me..... :rolleyes:

That's a great idea, MattyontheWhistle. I hadn't thought of that, so I'll at least give it a try. If it works, I'll have my second watch!

Oh, I got my Spintso last night - came in the mail by the time I got home (*after* my playoff match, of course!) I must admit it's a pretty cool piece of gear. My only gripe is that it's sort of...big. Not exactly a "wear all the time" kind of wristwatch. That's too bad, because I wore my Casio RFT-100 all the time. I can wear this one all the time (got it on right now, in fact), but I'm not sure if I'll keep doing so.

But, it really is a fantastic game watch. One-button simplicity for the entire match. Even works for the abomination which is NFHS rules timekeeping (stopping the clock, instead of adding time), but since the Spintso provides a countdown AND a time remaining, which also automatically adds the stoppage, it amounts to the same thing. I did some test timing last night using various match times, and it worked really well. The whole one-button thing is amazing.

Here's a pic of the watch on my wrist...

spintso.jpg

Also broke my (back-up) watch at the weekend which wasn't too worried about as it wasn't expensive. However for a few years I've been tracking the short distance I 'run' during games using a mobile on silent strapped to my arm.

Any views on GPS watches? Nothing fancy

Cheers Aaran, saw that TomTom released these watches during the week which got me thinking about it. Looks tempting.

Just received the Spinsto watch yesturday.. At the price I was unsure I had done the correct thing but since having a play I cant wait to get out there and use the thing

doesn't seem to want to load the image but basically it gives you a map and data and runs you through your movements

Back