A&H

Brisbane Roar vs Sydney DOGSO

higdawgy

I'd be interested in opinions here regarding this incident. Starts at about 2:35 in the highlights video.

Disclaimer: I'm a Sydney fan, so I am able to recognise my own bias here.

I can see both sides of the argument as to whether this should be DOGSO or not. Thinking about distance, direction and defenders.
In the negative camp, he is in his own half and close to the sideline with the header taking him further along the sideline and not towards the goal which may give the defender a chance to catch up.

On the other hand, the nearest defender is about ten yards behind him and the keeper is still in the penalty area, with a couple of touches he is through on the keeper.

You get the calls of "last man" from the attacking team and the calls "he's in his own half" from the defending team.
Also, if you can ignore the commentary, they are terrible.

The Referee Store
I'd be interested in opinions here regarding this incident. Starts at about 2:35 in the highlights video.

I can see both sides of the argument as to whether this should be DOGSO or not. Thinking about distance, direction and defenders.
In the negative camp, he is in his own half and close to the sideline with the header taking him further along the sideline and not towards the goal which may give the defender a chance to catch up.

On the other hand, the nearest defender is about ten yards behind him and the keeper is still in the penalty area, with a couple of touches he is through on the keeper.

You get the calls of "last man" from the attacking team and the calls "he's in his own half" from the defending team.
At elite levels of the game that is a DOGSO.

No so much when it's red lion v Saracens head.

I felt DOGSO. Although toward the side line it is not on the edge of the field and the last touch from the attacking player would have brought the ball more central. No other defender capable of intercepting the attacker once away. I agree with you on distance and that is the only thing I felt doubtful about… for a moment. Overall, I think this is the right call at this level of the game despite the shock experienced by the commentators. Being the last defender and bringing down a fast attacker in space is never going to end well for you.

It's a little reductive and I don't like using it as the only criteria, but we're sometimes taught to mentally take the offending player away and see what it looks like without him - and for me, that makes this clear DOGSO.

The next defender is this guy - nearly 10 yards further directly behind the attacker (so there's no "covering" aspect), and the guy behind that is central, but another 5 or 10 yards behind this guy. For either of them to even get involved before the shot, they need to be significantly faster than the attacker, and we can't just assume that's the case.

1667810304744.png

Clear red and DOGSO for me, he's much faster than the chasing defender and so much further ahead

Cheers for the input everyone.

It was difficult for me to look at this without worrying I was biased one way or overcomplicating my thinking.
You've helped me understand that I was correct in my final opinion.

Back