A&H

Brighton v Burnley - messy penalty decisions

QuaverRef

I used to be indecisive but now i'm not so sure
Level 4 Referee

Watch from 5:50 onwards. 2 penalty decisions within a minute of each other

- Brighton No penalty. Jeff Hendricks basically catching the ball to gain control. Not sure on the AR’s view but if not unsighted, HAS to spot this!
- Straight down the other end, Ashley Barnes rounds the keeper and is brought down. Chris Wood follows it up and puts a shot towards an open goal wide (although it may have come off Barnes, dodgy camera angle), referee blows for the pen. Anyone not giving the pen here?

The Referee Store
Defo handball in the first instance...

Penalty on the next one, you've not got time to affect a play on that quick...

not handball.
Hits his shoulder and deflect onto hand which, oddly, was less than a metre away.
Just cos it looks awful doesn't make it handball
Although i must concede. After some of the handball decisions I've seen at the top level past 12 months I'm not sure I know what a handling offence looks like anymore

Defo handball in the first instance...

Penalty on the next one, you've not got time to affect a play on that quick...
This must be your fist ever deliberate handball in the history of this forum if I am not mistaken ;) .But the position of the and does not necessarily mean there is an offence.

Just to be clear I agree with you on both accounts :)

This must be your fist ever deliberate handball in the history of this forum if I am not mistaken ;) .But the position of the and does not necessarily mean there is an offence.

Just to be clear I agree with you on both accounts :)
Good to hear that your finally getting one right @one :cool:.... Phew, I knew we'd drag one right answer out of you one day!!! :smoke:

Last edited:
Reactions: one
What were peoples views on the second incident ?

He didn't play an advantage did he so the miss never really took place, if he did play advantage and same outcome what would have happened ?

if he did play advantage and same outcome what would have happened ?

What would have happened is most likely a penalty and a yellow card (to make up for a poor advantage application :) ).
What should have happened is a yellow card and goal kick.

What would have happened is most likely a penalty and a yellow card (to make up for a poor advantage application :) ).
What should have happened is a yellow card and goal kick.

That was my thinking.

Question on this, hard to see if the player who has the shot after the foul if the ball diverts off his own player, if it did after an advantage could it be then be brought back or is it just a case of it hit your own player so unlucky.

Back