A&H

Brighton - Palace

Tealeaf

Lighting the darkest hour
Staff member
Interesting first half.

Penalty to Brighton after a video check. Awarded after Will Hughes out a player in a headlock as the ball was crossed in.

Then some numpty throws a flat that lands at the feet of the Butland before the kick is taken, and we wait for the smoke to clear - literally.

Penalty is saved, and from the resulting corner Maupay challenges Butland, thinks he’s scored but it’s again overturned after the referee visits the monitor again.

Of the three points so far, it’s the last one that’s bothered me. The goalkeeper has clearly caught the ball and it’s knocked out of his hands. Goal was originally given. I’d like to think I’d call this in real time myself. It looked obvious, and disallowing it before having that confirmed by the video would have been far, far better.

On the flare, it was moved off the field by Butland but carried on smoking. Stewards removed it after the flubbed penalty. Genuine question, for those at the higher echelons - should play be suspended until the stewards have removed the flare? I’m thinking beyond the smoke, but any potential explosion from it.

The Referee Store
I don't think the pen is a good decision, sure there's pulling and holding but the Brighton player throws himself to the ground to win the pen

Definite pen - if your hiking down players round the neck - 👏 for var, so far having a good week.

as for Butland, exactly as you say - he’s got 2 hands on in a routine gk action, where the ball would have remained in his hands, but for the contact… why Rob Jones went for the safe option and award and wait for VAR is beyond me - surely we are always rolling that out as keep us control - freekick - let’s get on with it.

Last minute, anywhere else on the field Lamptey gets a free kick for being clattered. Jones can hide behind the premier league's statement about having a higher bar for penalties but I thought it was a clear foul.

Re: disallowed goal, what offence does Maupay commit? I feel he stops challenging the goalkeeper as soon as the gk has control of the ball but the goalkeeper just knocks the ball into him.

Imo original decision to award a goal was correct, no var intervention needed.

Re: disallowed goal, what offence does Maupay commit? I feel he stops challenging the goalkeeper as soon as the gk has control of the ball but the goalkeeper just knocks the ball into him.

Imo original decision to award a goal was correct, no var intervention needed.

He made an initial challenge but can’t suddenly put on the breaks. The ball is knocked clear because of his challenge, whether or not he’s tried to stop.

If Butland hits the deck and spills it, fine, goal stands. But that coming together is as much Maupay trying to be cute. Allow it and watch everyone try the same thing and chaos descends.

He made an initial challenge but can’t suddenly put on the breaks. The ball is knocked clear because of his challenge, whether or not he’s tried to stop.

If Butland hits the deck and spills it, fine, goal stands. But that coming together is as much Maupay trying to be cute. Allow it and watch everyone try the same thing and chaos descends.
Maupay is entitled to challenge for the ball before the goalkeeper gains control of it. When the gk gains control of the ball, I think Maupay does the right thing in stopping his challenge; he certainly didn't intend for Butland to knock the ball into him.

Back