A&H

Brentford v Wolves

If the DCL was C&O, then I fail to see how this wasn't.
Don't disagree, but it against comes back to the subjectivity that I keep talking about. We never had consistency on decisions when it was just on-pitch officials, so why does anyone think we will get consistency between different VARs. Granted there should be more consistency as they get more looks at decisions, but there will always be differences.

The Referee Store
With this, what would we say to the ball being just out so therefore can’t be SFP?

Just creating conversation of course
It was clearly a (poor) challenge for the ball, just because the ball may have just left the FoP by the time contact was made doesn't change that. It's SFP.

Don't disagree, but it against comes back to the subjectivity that I keep talking about. We never had consistency on decisions when it was just on-pitch officials, so why does anyone think we will get consistency between different VARs. Granted there should be more consistency as they get more looks at decisions, but there will always be differences.
There really should be a dedicated VAR team of officials.
They have them for officials with assistants.
If they have the same VAR teams working alongside the same on field teams then consistency will come in that sense.

It was clearly a (poor) challenge for the ball, just because the ball may have just left the FoP by the time contact was made doesn't change that. It's SFP.
Slightly disagree. SFP involves a foul. if the ball is out of play, it doesn’t forgive the conduct, but I think it is then properly classified as VC. But it doesn’t really make a differenc—the send off should still occur.

They have them for officials with assistants.
If you mean what I think you mean, not always. Officiating trios in PL have shifted a lot more than normal this season, and one significant change was Simon Bennett no longer regularly assisting Michael Oliver, with Dan Cook doing so instead.

Slightly disagree. SFP involves a foul. if the ball is out of play, it doesn’t forgive the conduct, but I think it is then properly classified as VC. But it doesn’t really make a differenc—the send off should still occur.
Yes it can make a difference. A) for penalty points that individual teams accumulate during the season (misconduct charges are raised once a team goes over a certain number of points, and VC is one point more than SFP), and b) as a club receive a misconduct charge once they have four instances of violent conduct across all the teams affiliated under that club.

SFP is a tackle/challenge for the ball. VC is not challenging for the ball. This was (or rather, should have been) SFP.

At the end of the day, I'm not arguing with the decisions because he's a PL ref and, well, I'm not so can't argue.
We don't let our qualifications or experience hinder us from expressing an opinion here! It's like Twitter but with less bile.

I find it's the ones where people disagree the most I get the best learning points, even though I might not get the answer.

Yes it can make a difference. A) for penalty points that individual teams accumulate during the season (misconduct charges are raised once a team goes over a certain number of points, and VC is one point more than SFP), and b) as a club receive a misconduct charge once they have four instances of violent conduct across all the teams affiliated under that club.

SFP is a tackle/challenge for the ball. VC is not challenging for the ball. This was (or rather, should have been) SFP.
Thats my point of raising that the ball is out of play purely for pedantic purposes of course.

If the ball is out of play, then it can’t be SFP and would need to be VC

Thats my point of raising that the ball is out of play purely for pedantic purposes of course.

If the ball is out of play, then it can’t be SFP and would need to be VC
Good question, maybe for IFAB. I don’t think so. In big football, it’s quite common to get a challenge for the ball when the ball has just left the FoP. And it’s not specified in the laws.

Futsal same same but different. For a cumulative foul ball needs to be in play - but I think you can still have SFP RC with the ball just out of play (pushing someone into the wall/bench is a common one).

Back