A&H

Brentford v Burnley

The Referee Store
As much as I can see that argument, I don't buy it.

If they can deem a player standing in the 6 yard box near the keeper as not interferring with play, how can they deem Ajer standing far post interferring with play when the ball did not even reach that far?
It is not an offence to stand/be in an offside position. The defender, defending against Collins, was not impacted. The one defending Ajer would have had no material affect on challenging Collins, as he is clearly more interested in Ajer - who again can stand/be there if he so wishes. It's not his fault the defender marking him is there, and he didn't stop/block him from being able to defend the ball if he so wishes.
So what impact did Ajer really have on the defender from defending the cross?

Reactions: es1
Video is geo blocked for me. By pulling, do you mean grabbing his shirt? Or do you mean the defender feels he has to go defend him? The former is OS if the pull doesn’t rise to the level of a DFK, but the latter is nothing. It’s not an offense to be in OSP. The OSP player has to do one of the things set out in Law 11.

As much as I can see that argument, I don't buy it.

If they can deem a player standing in the 6 yard box near the keeper as not interferring with play, how can they deem Ajer standing far post interferring with play when the ball did not even reach that far?
It is not an offence to stand/be in an offside position. The defender, defending against Collins, was not impacted. The one defending Ajer would have had no material affect on challenging Collins, as he is clearly more interested in Ajer - who again can stand/be there if he so wishes. It's not his fault the defender marking him is there, and he didn't stop/block him from being able to defend the ball if he so wishes.
So what impact did Ajer really have on the defender from defending the cross?
They can't make the assumption that the defender being held by Ajer wouldn't have moved across to challenge Collins. All they see is a player in an offside position clearly holding an opponent and therefore not being able to go and challenge for the ball. You might be right in that he wouldn't have left Ajer, but the officials can't go down that route.

Video is geo blocked for me. By pulling, do you mean grabbing his shirt? Or do you mean the defender feels he has to go defend him? The former is OS if the pull doesn’t rise to the level of a DFK, but the latter is nothing. It’s not an offense to be in OSP. The OSP player has to do one of the things set out in Law 11.
Not geo blocked, been pulled due to copyright infringement.

Last edited:
With the current wording, it is offside. He impacted defender's ability to play the ball. But I don't think this was intended as offside by law 11. While the defender had the ability to play the ball, and it would have been impacted had he intended to, he never intended to. After the initial grapple with Ajer, the defender was pushing back on Ajer to prevent Ajer playing the ball. The only attacker who actually stopped the defender from playing the ball was in an onside position and he did that a few meters away from tbe defender.

Screenshot_20231023-013440~2.jpg

The screen showed Collins as offside?
Screenshot_20231023-013542.jpg

Last edited:
Having watched it again I'm now even more sure, but it could easily have been for a foul rather than offside. As the ball is played the players are much more bunched up, as below. The defender starts to move towards the ball but is then very clearly pulled away and ends up nowhere near it in the end. It's obviously a very cleverly worked and practiced routine to make space for Collins, and should be penalised whether for offside or holding.

Certainly wasn't Collins offside though. I've always wondered who controls what goes up on the screen, I'd assumed that VAR relays a message to the ground scoreboard operator and they put it up, but perhaps Stockley Park has a way of doing it remotely.

1697987073654.png

Back