A&H

BRE LIV

Wolf_Ref

RefChat Addict
Level 3W Referee
Penalty appeal… thoughts? (72’). To me it looks clumsy and like it could have been a pen…

The Referee Store
I think earlier in the season both would have resulted in reviews, certainly the challenge by Robertson. But we are hardly seeing any reviews for fouls now, definitely looks like VARs have been told to stay out of it if there is any subjectivity at all.

As I said in a previous post, given up wondering what is considered a penalty worthy foul in the PL these days as decisions are so inconsistent week to week depending who the referee is and where they are refereeing.

As I said in a previous post, given up wondering what is considered a penalty worthy foul in the PL these days as decisions are so inconsistent week to week depending who the referee is and where they are refereeing.
I think they were previously, but in the past month VAR has been very consistent on fouls, they just aren't getting involved.

I think they were previously, but in the past month VAR has been very consistent on fouls, they just aren't getting involved.

Doesn't mean thats the right way to go about it though. Mind you whenever I see David Coote on VAR, going from his personality on the field, he really looks like a person that wouldn't have the nerve to say someone more senior than him he may of made a mistake. I thought it was a clear pen which Oliver didn't give and it's the classic anywhere else on the pitch then it's a free kick.

I also thought Liverpool had a creditable shout for a pen also, clear contact but perhaps the way the Liverpool player went over put doubt into the referees mind. We would of heard alot more about it if it wasn't such a one sided game.

Wasn't talking about VAR specifically though, wasn't mentioned at all in my post. On pitch decisions are inconsistent as they have ever been. Kick someone through the back of their legs or barge them in the back - Nah, no foul, stand on someone's toe the next week? Foul! :confused:

What I don't get and it certainly doesn't make sense to me is that a team who has nearly 70% possession can concede 18 fouls to 4 in a game? Surely if a team is holding on to the ball better the opposition have to resort to challenges that would probably be deemed as fouls to get the ball back? Brentford play a game that is borderline agricultural with late challenges all over and yet on received 4 fouls against them?

It was the same against City where they only conceded 2 fouls all game. In all other games where the possession is more or less equal they give away 9-15 fouls a game. Is this down to lesser team privilege or is there something else going on?

Wasn't talking about VAR specifically though, wasn't mentioned at all in my post. On pitch decisions are inconsistent as they have ever been. Kick someone through the back of their legs or barge them in the back - Nah, no foul, stand on someone's toe the next week? Foul! :confused:
There will always be inconsistency for on-pitch decisions though at all levels of the game, that's just because they get one look at it and have to make a judgement. I'm not sure many people have a problem with that, the annoyance is where two identical incidents happen in games on the same day and VAR gets involved for one but not the other, or even two identical incidents in the same game with the same VAR. That's what frustrates people.

Okk massively on board with the high bar for overturning decisions. When VAR first came on there were far too many penalties. But the Robertson one is a C&O error, no doubt at all in my mind. It couldn't be more of a foul & a reckless one at that.

The City handball incident looks to be an error too. I despise the handball interpretation which leads to the idea that we even consider the handball late in the game as a penalty, but under current law it is a clear movement of the arm towards the ball.

2 KMI errors in my opinion.

I guess they're still tinkering with when to get involved but that foul on Toney was about the clearest and most obvious refereeing error you will see all year. Amazing that it wasn't overturned when you look at the handball penalties given each way at Luton last week.

Var needs to have it's remit shrunk significantly to points of fact and off ball incidents the ref couldn't see. It just isn't working

I guess they're still tinkering with when to get involved but that foul on Toney was about the clearest and most obvious refereeing error you will see all year. Amazing that it wasn't overturned when you look at the handball penalties given each way at Luton last week.

Var needs to have it's remit shrunk significantly to points of fact and off ball incidents the ref couldn't see. It just isn't working

Considering it's one of, if not the, best referees we have in England, it's shocking to see he didn't see it first hand.
But I've highlighted this before. No referee ever sends Michael Oliver to the screen.
Ever.

Forget VAR. How is the ref not calling the Robertson/Toney incident in the 1st place. How are they getting to that level and missing calls like that. I’m not a fan of either team but that’s shocking to let that go.

Best ref in England and he's missed that.
He also failed to give a foul when Bradley puts his studs into Toneys thigh seconds into the 2nd half.
He gave a free kick against Onyeka and a yellow card when he was fouled on the edge of the box, inside the D, himself.
Oliver, simply put, had a bad game yesterday.

Didn’t see the game but from the clip it’s an obvious penalty. If Webb has removed the bar he should really tell the football family because it will come as a big shock when there is a match changing intervention in the run in!

I know that things always look worse in slo-mo but I honestly can't believe that Oliver didn't give that in real time.
How on earth is that not a careless challenge? :eek:

I don't think it's as clear-cut as some people on here are making it out to be. Toney sees Robertson coming and makes a movement towards him. I'm not saying Oliver made the correct call but not a clear and obvious error for me.

I don't think it's as clear-cut as some people on here are making it out to be. Toney sees Robertson coming and makes a movement towards him. I'm not saying Oliver made the correct call but not a clear and obvious error for me.
Yeah, think that's where I'm at as well. Even the commentator says it, "Ivan Toney knows exactly what he's doing, he gets his body in". Absolutely no issue if the referee gives a penalty, but I don't see that it was a clear and obvious error to not give it.

Back