A&H

World Cup Brazil vs. Croatia

I'm going to go ahead and disagree with the general flow here and say that I thought the decision to award a free kick to Brazil on the challenge against the GK was the correct one. However, the penalty was not a good decision, the first offside of the tournament was incorrect. The caution to Neymar was correct as the contact point was forearm to side of the neck, not elbow to face.

The Referee Store
I'm agreeing to the caution to neymar is correct but the freekick to Brazil not correct even thou I'm supporting them as one of favs to win tautnament pk wrong and caution to fred for diving and freekick

On the one hand my first impression (which is all you get on the field) is that they were both going for the ball, and I can understand how people look at that and say no foul occurred.

But actually however light the contact may have been, Cesar was getting his hands to the ball until Olic made contact with his back and prevented him from doing so. This is despite me often being annoyed at how much protection goalkeepers receive.

You cannot challenge the Keeper anymore. Maybe a little in the premiership (more than likely would have been allowed), but in international football? Nope.

How about some of the AR's decisions and some of his flagging techniques!! I'm sure we would all be dragged over the coles for some of those!! But hey, who am i to comment, i'm not at the world cup :)

There was a point where Brazil (I think) were attacking - the AR followed the ball to the goal line and then over ran it looking from beyond the goal line back across the goal? Clear couple of yards the wrong side of the goal. Luckily it didn't matter as the ball was cleared.

There was a point where Brazil (I think) were attacking - the AR followed the ball to the goal line and then over ran it looking from beyond the goal line back across the goal? Clear couple of yards the wrong side of the goal. Luckily it didn't matter as the ball was cleared.
yes, I saw that, thought it was peculiar. It also annoys me that foreign officials go against what we're told to do in this country and have there flags rolled up when they come out!

yes, I saw that, thought it was peculiar. It also annoys me that foreign officials go against what we're told to do in this country and have there flags rolled up when they come out!

Maybe they're taught to do things differently? Agreed that it doesn't look good, but referees are taught differently around the world and act differently as a result.

Maybe they're taught to do things differently? Agreed that it doesn't look good, but referees are taught differently around the world and act differently as a result.
yes, I think in Europe the advice is to the contrary - on the front cover of the 2013-14 LOTG 2 ARs have furled flags!

but even on one of the goal kicks he gave, he used his left arm and sort of bent round a bit. I might be wrong, but i'm sure i was told to use the other hand?? I thought it was a all universal. Hey, every day's a school day. If i got marked down next season, i'm gonna remember this game :)

You guys are told to unfurl your flags when walking out? I find that odd - aren't we supposed to be looking as professional as possible when we come out?

I know nearly everyone will disagree on this, but: I think that Brazil should have the penalty (not from hundreds of TV replays and titles spamming) but the first time I saw it looked a penalty to me, and from where the referee was I think he saw the hand go on Fred and then Fred go down so he saw contact but he got the wrong second half to the story. As a defender, putting your hand on a striker when he has his back to goal is just calling for a penalty. However after all the replays I dont think it was a penalty but I think in the moment the ref had every right to give it. I know people will disagree with me on this but oh well! Haha!

And with the AR thing, in the LoTG im sure it says that flags should be unfurled whilst out on the FoP and should be kept in the arm closest to the pitch, but I saw an AR on the far side, running up the pitch with it in his left hand? My ARing tutor was Jonathan Hunt from the Footy League and he said to me, left hand always unless running up pitch, switch flag hands below the belt and give everything except defending throw and defending fk with right hand. I suppose the rest of the world must be different as I see a lot holding right handed most of the time

I know nearly everyone will disagree on this, but: I think that Brazil should have the penalty (not from hundreds of TV replays and titles spamming) but the first time I saw it looked a penalty to me, and from where the referee was I think he saw the hand go on Fred and then Fred go down so he saw contact but he got the wrong second half to the story. As a defender, putting your hand on a striker when he has his back to goal is just calling for a penalty. However after all the replays I dont think it was a penalty but I think in the moment the ref had every right to give it. I know people will disagree with me on this but oh well! Haha!

Where the referee was was half the problem during this match. He consistently chose poor positions and was consistently looking around players instead of having unobstructed views of incidents. It was really embarrassing, frankly.

Back