A&H

World Cup Brazil-Costa Rica

Seems to be a very distinct absence of yellow cards for diving at this World Cup - I was amazed not to see one for Neymar.

I thought Kuipers was great - but his blood definitely appeared to boil over at the end. He let all the Costa Rica players scream in his face after the pen award, but when Neymar slammed the ball, he'd had enough. Banged up the yellow. Then Coutinho had a protest. "There you go, son, one for you too - anybody else want one?" Then dragging up Navas after the playacting had reached its pinnacle.

We've all been there, I'm sure! :D

(Big fan of VAR, by the way. No doubt all the chatter about it is simply the love of moaning and drama. Everything seems much better for it - though why Kane didn't get at least one pen is beyond me. Can nobody ask the VAR team what their thought process was in that?)

The Referee Store
I'm sure Kuipers is happy to have VAR. That error could have ended his tournament, but now life moves on and he's still a favorite for the final.
I hate cheating more than I disapprove of the existing VAR process, so we're not in disagreement this time!

The penalty being overturned was spot on, but if that isn't simulation, what is?

And that double-yellow for dissent was far too long coming. But we got it eventually.

Edit: If I do have one or two criticisms about the refereeing it is:

1. I really dislike the facial expressions and shouting they do when they tick the players off. I don't think it's right to be treating them like children.

2. The whole 'point at where the offence has happened' thing really grates, because I was told on day 1 never to do this as you end up giving two signals 'officially' and it looks silly. Ditto for not walking over to every other incident, just go where play will go.

I'm nitpicking though.

Last edited:
Simulation is meant to be along lines of pretending to be fouled in an attempt to decieve the referee, I would reckon if you have decieved him enough that he gave a pk then it turns out that there was no foul, then its exactly what the lotg say is a caution

Unless its being treated as, Neymar did not attempt to decieve anybody, the referee plain and simple made a wrong call

Whether we agree with it or not, any contact is treated as reason to not give a yellow for simulation. There was contact but it was also clearly not a foul.

The fact that Neymar manages to make Ronaldo seem like a fair player is quite an achievement.

If I remember right in Scotland if simulation leads to something cant they be retrospectively banned???

Is this still the case??, I don't remember the full details!! Was it for. a sending off??

Clear simulation for me. You can see that the ref saw the hand on Neymar's side and how that led to him giving the pen. But I agree with the others - if Neymar's "embellishment" was enough to fool the referee, I don't see how it's not simulation.

Good to finally see referees remember that dissent is a YC offence, and good to see how actually following the laws and showing some consistency can make referees lives a lot easier. Hope this serves as an example to all the others!

1. I really dislike the facial expressions and shouting they do when they tick the players off. I don't think it's right to be treating them like children
I quite enjoy that. The players act like children, so Kuipers had every right to shout at them like children.

If I remember right in Scotland if simulation leads to something cant they be retrospectively banned???

Is this still the case??, I don't remember the full details!! Was it for. a sending off??
In Scotland and in England both. It's for simulation spotted on review, that led either to the referee giving a penalty or a player being sent off.

FA simulation review panel announced

1. I really dislike the facial expressions and shouting they do when they tick the players off. I don't think it's right to be treating them like children.
I don't like this too, but it is one of my steps in the stepped approch before the card comes out. However in the WC referees being under instruction to hold back on yellow, this step seems to get repeated over and over. I don't see what else they can do if they were to follow the instructions. They can't just ignore it or have a quiet talk.

Back