A&H

Brand new team.

Abeverley

Hi guys.
I’ll most likely get trolled a lot for this but:

On Saturday I’m down to ref an U16 girls league match.
I’ve just chatted to the home team and she informs me it’s their second game- ever!
I don’t know about the players, if they’ve come from other teams etc but I was wondering if I should be a bit more leanient with foul throws etc.
Or should I stick to the letter of the law as a matter of education even if it becomes a bit stop/start etc.

The Referee Store
By the time they're U16, regardless of whether it's a new team, they should have an understanding of the laws of footballs. You certainly may have to explain the more obscure ones but as far as fouls etc. go, ref it as you would. Be prepared to help to educate them (e.g. quickly explain how to take a throw in correctly if you give a foul throw), but I certainly don't think you shouldn't go out of your way to bend the rules for them - they'll never learn otherwise!

I mentored a new referee on a U12 division 4 game in grassroots early in the season. U12 is the first year they play full field in my association and a lot of players' first experience of football.

He called close to 20 foul throws in in the first 25 minute half. I remember one TI taking 4 attempts (two each team) to get right. The teams or benches were not complaint but the frustration and loss of interest was becoming obvious.

My advise at half time was to call the obvious one and ignore the 50-50 or even 40-60s. Anytime you call one give a short loud explaination so everyone can hear it.

It works the same for fouls. There will be a lot of clumsy challenges. Every referee already has 'allowing the game to flow' as part of their game management. You do all this within the framework of the law. It's changing the level of tolerances. Ignoring a trivial foul that hasn't impacted the flow of the game for example (you play a mental advantage). Much of the law is not black and white, use that fact to your advantage to enhance everyone's enjoyment of the game without inventing your own laws. I know this is not very clear and easier said than done.

Thanks guys.
This is kind of what I expected and thought I would do.
Your input is always appreciated.

Just got another game in for U11s. 9v9.

Hi guys.
I’ll most likely get trolled a lot for this but:

On Saturday I’m down to ref an U16 girls league match.
I’ve just chatted to the home team and she informs me it’s their second game- ever!
I don’t know about the players, if they’ve come from other teams etc but I was wondering if I should be a bit more leanient with foul throws etc.
Or should I stick to the letter of the law as a matter of education even if it becomes a bit stop/start etc.

With Youth football it's about getting a balance between helping to coach/guide the players and applying the laws to the letter, particularly regarding things like foul throws. At the younger age groups, the greater emphasis is on coaching "have another go at that and try and keep your feet on the ground when you take it" versus the strict application of the foot was raised, its a foul throw. Typically the second time the effort will be better, and a more passable attempt.

As they go up through the age groups, my leniency for this will go down. The same "foot up" throw in at U16's would be an automatic foul throw, albeit with some clear explanation as to why I've given it "foul throw, you need to keep that back foot down when you take it" if after a few throws it's the same player foul throwing, the team is likely to tell someone else to take them. If they are all unable to take throws, then I'd probably demonstrate one for them even at this age group.

At this standard and age group, it's about fun, enjoyment and participation. As the referee, yes you are there to apply the laws of the game, but also to try to help make it an enjoyable experience for the players. The two things are not mutually exclusive.

Ref it as you would any other game. U16s know the rules they may be a brand new team but they won't have just started playing.

Back