A&H

Bournmouth v Spurs

The Referee Store
As I've posted in the other topic, this is a refereeing forum. If you want to come on just to criticise referees you are in the wrong place and it won't be allowed, plenty of fans' forums exist for that purpose.

You can say that you think a decision was wrong, you can say why you think the referee might have got it wrong, and so on, but describing a FIFA referee as being awful and that once in a while he has a competent game is against the rules. Gentle advice for now, but if it persists posts will be deleted and users blocked.

I thought it was a very interesting scene. I think Kane is very quick in realising that he won't get to the ball, once he feels contact in the back. So he falls. I think if we look at it frame by frame I would say rather no penalty and theatrical fall - BUT it's one of those where the majority of football fans expects a penalty, especially as King has no chance to challenge for the header and Kane already lost his marker. It was a clever (a tad theatrical) fall from Kane I.M.O.
PGMOL said it was a mistake to not give the penalty. I think as a referee it's so important to give calls the way that 'football expects it'.

I thought it was a very interesting scene. I think Kane is very quick in realising that he won't get to the ball, once he feels contact in the back. So he falls. I think if we look at it frame by frame I would say rather no penalty and theatrical fall - BUT it's one of those where the majority of football fans expects a penalty, especially as King has no chance to challenge for the header and Kane already lost his marker. It was a clever (a tad theatrical) fall from Kane I.M.O.
PGMOL said it was a mistake to not give the penalty. I think as a referee it's so important to give calls the way that 'football expects it'.
PGMOL didn't say that, did they? It was the Premier League who said 3 match refs and 3 VARs got all the key decisions wrong last night. PGMOL doing VAR is unfit for purpose.

VAR is completely lost on how to deal with even the slightest bit of subjectivity. That's because the VAR should abstain from any involvement in such incidents, instead of pointlessly checking stuff (and delaying games) on which a consensus agreement is out of reach

And that is why there is so much wrong with refereeing in the professional game......referee using the laws, not what players, managers or the supporters think are the laws....they can't be arsed to learn them

And that is why there is so much wrong with refereeing in the professional game......referee using the laws, not what players, managers or the supporters think are the laws....they can't be arsed to learn them
Minty, I'm not quite sure of your point. "What football expects" is now effectively part of the laws. True, IFAB (or at least PGMOL) are getting that badly wrong with the accidental handball interpretation of "what football expects" but what football expects is blatant fouls to be given and VAR to correct clear and obvious errors (not, as PGMOL has gone back to this week, trying to second guess how on earth the match referee made such a bad decision).

Minty, I'm not quite sure of your point. "What football expects" is now effectively part of the laws. True, IFAB (or at least PGMOL) are getting that badly wrong with the accidental handball interpretation of "what football expects" but what football expects is blatant fouls to be given and VAR to correct clear and obvious errors (not, as PGMOL has gone back to this week, trying to second guess how on earth the match referee made such a bad decision).
Unfortunately, 'football' is not yet a sentient being and therefore by definition has no expectations, if by using the phrase 'what football expects' you really mean all those people who have a vested interest in football then it is up to the law makers to write the laws to meet those expectations. If they draft them badly, you get uncertainty, don't explain what you mean with added codicils, change the 3ffing laws until you get it right.
Don't referee to expectations, referee to the laws, take the fall out, as that is what will apply pressure for law changes.....

I think the intent of “what football expects” is for when there are gray areas in the Laws. Not an excuse to ignore the Laws.

The referee should rule with/in Equity..... would be a much better philosophy

Last edited:
Very important point for active referees: Apply Law

That's crazy talk.

The professional game is a law unto itself when it comes to things like dissent and offinabus.

And even at grassroots there are officials who don't apply the laws because they either want good club marks, are weak and are scared they will lose their match control, or just don't keep up with law changes.

Back