A&H

Bournemouth sliding handball

Therealcjhill

Yes his arms are elevated but it looked to me like they where natural to his slide. I didn’t get the impression he was trying to make himself bigger. Another I feel goes against their own laws and makes Grassroots impossible to ref.

The Referee Store
I'm watching both incidents and I believe I wouldn't have allowed either West Hams first goal, the handball caused a total change in direction of the ball, even if it appears accidental, if that's a defender is making the same move Coote is awarding a penalty.
The penalty awarded, how close was the player, he's virtually on top of the crosser sliding in with his arms in a natural position, how else can you slide.
Once again its the inconsistencies of these decisions from game to game

You need to look at things under the law, not what you think should happen. For the first one the only debate is was it intentional, for me there's absolutely no way it was as his arm was pinned by his side and the ball just hit it. Two years ago that would be disallowed as it led to a goal, but now it can't be as the goal didn't happen immediately.

The second one is a clear, clear penalty under the current laws. His arm was very high, and even Zemura knew he had goofed and given away a penalty.

You need to look at things under the law, not what you think should happen. For the first one the only debate is was it intentional, for me there's absolutely no way it was as his arm was pinned by his side and the ball just hit it. Two years ago that would be disallowed as it led to a goal, but now it can't be as the goal didn't happen immediately.

The second one is a clear, clear penalty under the current laws. His arm was very high, and even Zemura knew he had goofed and given away a penalty.
Surely the current law is the exact reason it’s not a handball or the exact reason it could be debatable. Being high isn’t in the law. Aren’t his arms in a position that’s justifiable for his sliding actions. I’m not fully convinced the The goal should have been allowed as he purposefully tried to flick the ball, change its direction with his hands. I think you might be giving him too much credit for it not being intentional.
I honestly think the handball law is all over as look at how non of us can really agree on 2 decision in same game.

Surely the current law is the exact reason it’s not a handball or the exact reason it could be debatable. Being high isn’t in the law. Aren’t his arms in a position that’s justifiable for his sliding actions. I’m not fully convinced the The goal should have been allowed as he purposefully tried to flick the ball, change its direction with his hands. I think you might be giving him too much credit for it not being intentional.
I honestly think the handball law is all over as look at how non of us can really agree on 2 decision in same game.
I just don't think your arms come up that high when diving. I played in defence and did a lot of diving to block shots and crosses and in my head my arms never came that high. They come out from the body, but I'm far from convinced they come up that high.

If the West Ham defender intentionally tried to flick the ball with his arm it was an exceptional skill as his arm didn't move, it just hit him as his body turned. Whilst I can understand different opinions on the penalty given, there is absolutely no way it was intentional handling on the West Ham goal.

What were your thoughts on the Rashford incident a couple of weeks back? I can't be bothered right now to go back and look at anything you posted about it.

That goal didn't happen immediately, but it was still ruled out.

I just don't think your arms come up that high when diving. I played in defence and did a lot of diving to block shots and crosses and in my head my arms never came that high. They come out from the body, but I'm far from convinced they come up that high.

If the West Ham defender intentionally tried to flick the ball with his arm it was an exceptional skill as his arm didn't move, it just hit him as his body turned. Whilst I can understand different opinions on the penalty given, there is absolutely no way it was intentional handling on the West Ham goal.
This is the massive issue at the moment isn’t it. On a scale of 1-10 some ref can be 1 and others 10. And that can’t be good. I agree with you that both decision could be as you describe but then I’ve seen footage that makes it look like he flicks the ball with his body turn,, why is he turning. and his arms are high/wide but what is natural for him when sliding might not be natural for someone else because watching it i didnt think he purposely splayed his arms out. I guess who’s natural are we using.

I’ve just watched 1st one again and there’s no doubt for me the West Ham player purposely moves he’s body to knock/change direction of ball. He’s been very clever keeping his hands down, after that I don’t think it will be the last time we see it.

What were your thoughts on the Rashford incident a couple of weeks back? I can't be bothered right now to go back and look at anything you posted about it.

That goal didn't happen immediately, but it was still ruled out.
Big difference there is it hit his arm as he was lifting it over the keeper. I can't remember exactly what happened (getting old and memory not as good as it was 😂), but as I recall it was much more immediate.

This is the massive issue at the moment isn’t it. On a scale of 1-10 some ref can be 1 and others 10. And that can’t be good. I agree with you that both decision could be as you describe but then I’ve seen footage that makes it look like he flicks the ball with his body turn,, why is he turning. and his arms are high/wide but what is natural for him when sliding might not be natural for someone else because watching it i didnt think he purposely splayed his arms out. I guess who’s natural are we using.
Agree, there is one angle that makes it look like he almost scooped the ball, and my immediate reaction was handball. They then showed two other angles that showed he had barely moved his arm at all. Just shows the importance of angles when making decisions.

Big difference there is it hit his arm as he was lifting it over the keeper. I can't remember exactly what happened (getting old and memory not as good as it was 😂), but as I recall it was much more immediate.
For me, the time that both incidents took from handball to goal wasn't too dissimilar, I haven't timed them but maybe a second in it. Both were roughly 4-5 seconds imo. Both goals should stand, or nether should stand.

For me, the time that both incidents took from handball to goal wasn't too dissimilar, I haven't timed them but maybe a second in it. Both were roughly 4-5 seconds imo. Both goals should stand, or nether should stand.
I'd need to see a clip of the Rashford one to jog my memory.

Start at 2:05.
That's what I thought, after it hit his hand he has gone on and scored himself. I think the key difference, even if not supported by the law wording, is Rashford has gone onto score himself without anyone else being involved, whereas the West Ham one rebounded a bit and a different player scored. Does that meet the immediate requirement, not sure, we'd have to ask IFAB (and they won't comment on actual match incidents).

That's what I thought, after it hit his hand he has gone on and scored himself. I think the key difference, even if not supported by the law wording, is Rashford has gone onto score himself without anyone else being involved, whereas the West Ham one rebounded a bit and a different player scored. Does that meet the immediate requirement, not sure, we'd have to ask IFAB (and they won't comment on actual match incidents).
For me, there's nothing in the wording about how many players it touches etc, it is all about timing, 'immediately after'. That is, within a second, 2. 3 is very much the max.

Neither were 'immediately after', so both goals should stand, as no handball offences committed.

For me, there's nothing in the wording about how many players it touches etc, it is all about timing, 'immediately after'. That is, within a second, 2. 3 is very much the max.

Neither were 'immediately after', so both goals should stand, as no handball offences committed.
The immediate scores after handling does not apply to the west ham goal because the player who handled it did not score.

The rashford one, is within seconds so is more up for debate and interpretation.

The immediate scores after handling does not apply to the west ham goal because the player who handled it did not score.

The rashford one, is within seconds so is more up for debate and interpretation.
It's both on the timing, for me, and both timings were similar so there shouldn't need to be any debate or interpretation. Neither were scored immediately after, so Rashford's shouldn't have been ruled out.

It's both on the timing, for me, and both timings were similar so there shouldn't need to be any debate or interpretation. Neither were scored immediately after, so Rashford's shouldn't have been ruled out.
My point is one is a lot more obvious than the other. Rashford handled and then went onto score himself without anyone else involved, Kehrer handled and it them rebounded around before someone else scored. They probably need to define "immediate" as otherwise these debates will carry on for ever. Could it be argued that Rashford scored immediately after, possibly, but there is no possible argument that West Ham scored immediate after Kehrer's handling.

Yes his arms are elevated but it looked to me like they where natural to his slide. I didn’t get the impression he was trying to make himself bigger. Another I feel goes against their own laws and makes Grassroots impossible to ref.
It’s about as clear a handball as you’ll see this season

You might want to check that one again. The original "accidental" HB offense didn't require the same player to handle and score. The new language does. It's a player scores after the ball contacts their arm. It also has to be (the undefined) "immediate."

Back