A&H

Open Age Bottled it!

Justylove

RefChat Addict
Bottled a second yellow today mid way through the second half. Player already been cautioned and goes in recklessly on a challenge in the opposing penalty area. Typical one where he's overrun the ball. Lost control then lunged in, ball trickles out of play.

I know if I give the free kick then I've got to walk him, so give a goal kick and play on.

Really knocked my confidence and looking back I know I should have given the foul and given him the second yellow.

Won't make that mistake again!

The Referee Store
Dont dwell on it fella. We've all been there, we all learn the hard way. Its not easy when you have situations like this, its just important that you learn from it and move on

What was the reaction from the opposing team? Just curious.

Most important thing here is that you have recognised and have learnt from it.

As Ross said, don't dwell on it. Another game is just around the corner!

Opposing team told me they thought it was a foul and he'd led with his studs. Didn't cause a big ruckus, but I definitely got it wrong

Always take a positive, I would say it takes a big man to admit his mistakes and like you say you wont make it again!! Well done mate :)

It happens, everybody makes mistakes, at least you have recognised it, and wont do it again! Onwards and upwards!

Reactions: SM
Like everyone has said don't worry about it, and also don't be worried about sending a player off especially on a second yellow, he should know from the first yellow to calm down and not to lunge in like that.

Did you sell your decision well? The main thing is to find a short reason to tell the players if anyone questions it, if you cant just tell them to go away and it is a goal kick, but if you can think of a reason to tell them, say it

e.g. Blue players are appealing for a penalty but you gave it a goal kick, if the blue players come up to you, then tell them one of their teammates was blocking your view and you can only give what you see, the best thing to do is to shift the blame onto someone else whenever you can. :)

I sold it ok, could have been better, but like the advice on blaming a player for being in the way :)

I do need to improve on handling the low level stuff I get in games, things like "why is that a free kick ref?" And players wanting to know "what's that for". I tend to get sucked into too many discussions where i feel I'm justifying my decisions to players.

I do need to improve on handling the low level stuff I get in games, things like "why is that a free kick ref?" And players wanting to know "what's that for". I tend to get sucked into too many discussions where i feel I'm justifying my decisions to players.

Unless they're right in your face I tend just to pretend that I haven't heard them

With the penalty shout probably a big loud "NO!!!!!" and a cut of the grass before anyone can get a word in is a good idea. Had a game on Sunday, first decision sold well but I was fairly quite and there was one guy on the touchline who appealed a bit too long so next debatable foul I heard "Ref..." So I interrupted him with the biggest loudest "NOOOOO!!! Play on" that I had, I never heard his voice again throughout the match but I've had a few complaints from people living a few streets away from the pitch ;)

My motto is: if someone accuses you of something, blame someone else. If you can't blame someone else, blame the weather :p (Only really works while refereeing).

When selling your decisions remember, stand tall, head up shoulders back, chest out, nice loud call and run ;)

I had the debate about 'justifying' decisions with an assessor this year. It's definitely a grey area, and at least partly dependent on character/temperament and match control.

My natural style is to communicate and let people know why I have or have not made a decision. The assessor was right though, that you have to be careful that it doesn't turn into a conversation or debate. The best way I've found to manage this is to keep moving - so I might say why immediately (signal a pull or say 'yeah, we're coming back for the late tackle there - no advantage' or something), or I might have a word with an aggrieved player in passing. Less frequently, I might prevent a restart and have a word with a player who's going over the top about an incident - the best hint I had from the assessor was to let them say their piece, stop them, say that they've had their say and now it's my turn, very briefly outline the decision then let them know you're moving on. If they then keep it up (and especially if they follow you to make their point), they're clearly heading towards a yellow for dissent and you can manage that in your own way.

Hope this helps?!

Back