A&H

Boots

fmuhammad

Level 7 Referee
What boots are ideal for a new referee starting out not too expensive. Also will FG boots be okay or do they have to be strictly SG (metal studs)

The Referee Store
Anything that is predominantly black is fine, doesn’t have to be expensive.

Never owned a pair of SG in my life. FG are absolutely fine for even the wettest of pitches. I also own a pair of Astros for when the ground is super hard as the FG’s bruise my feet when it’s rock hard.

As long as they are predominantly black it is fine. Technically nothing to say you can’t wear coloured boots, but the problem is you’ll stand out like a sore thumb so not a great idea.

Like Justylove I only ever wear mouldies or Astro boots, never had a problem even on the muddiest of pitches. As a player I wore screw in studs or blades, but the different there is you are planting your non kicking foot to play the ball and that wouldn’t work with mouldies, but not an issue for a referee..

Thanks guys really appreciate it!

One more question: Do I buy boots a size bigger because in my experience boots are very tight or shall I buy usual size?

I've had to change boots midway through this season, I originally bought a pair of astros and SG in my usual size, but quickly found them to be too tight, so changed to a size bigger. If you've had similar experience then I'd recommend the same, but it generally comes down to personal preference.

Thanks guys really appreciate it!

One more question: Do I buy boots a size bigger because in my experience boots are very tight or shall I buy usual size?
Depends on the brand. Nike are normally quite snug, at least width wise, whereas Adidas tend to be a wider fit. I typically wear Adidas and they are find in my normal shoe size.

Hate the shop but Sports Direct are doing a pretty good sale on boobs at the moment. Grabbed a pair earlier.

As has already been mentioned, a pair that is primarily black would be best, although theres no written rule about this.

As for type, firm ground/molds are going to be best, as you'll be able to use these whether on grass or 3/4G, where as studs can only be used on grass, so you'd need to get another pair for 3/4G or in the summer when the ground is baked hard.

As with most things, finding the best boots for you might be a bit of trial and error, so start with something cheap, I know some people who really like Sondico boots etc.

Do I buy boots a size bigger because in my experience boots are very tight or shall I buy usual size?
Every pair of boots is slightly different, even ones from the same manufacturers sometimes. You should buy the size that fits the way you want them to fit. Whenever I'm shopping for shoes and especially if I try multiple pairs from different brands, I can sometimes find ones that fit the way I want in anything from 42 to 44. Until you've tried them on, you never really know. What you can't do, is go in saying, "I will only buy size XX no matter what."

These are the shoes I normally wear as a center referee. I don’t think wearing the same shoes/boots as players is needed. We don’t kick a ball. We need more cushioning and more focus on running as opposed to needing to focus on kicking and dribbling.

adidas Performance Men's Rockadia Trail m, Core Black/Matte Silver/Carbon, 10.5 Wide US https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071GRVNLN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_NNGcEbPAYD5GA

I do have studs/cleats, but I only wear them when it’s really muddy.

Back