The Ref Stop

Boots.... again

RonnieM

Level 7 Referee
Going to try the Skechers Razor Gold FG boots even though I was quite happy with the Adidas Copa Gloro FG I have... I like the comfort of the shoes so does this transfer to a boot? I'll wait and see, first try out is Tuesday night at training.

The Ref Stop
Going to try the Skechers Razor Gold FG boots even though I was quite happy with the Adidas Copa Gloro FG I have... I like the comfort of the shoes so does this transfer to a boot? I'll wait and see, first try out is Tuesday night at training.
I have been hardcore wearing Nike Pegasus Trail 4 Gore-tex. They are trainers and I wear them every chance I get. Trainers are a game changer. I will wear them on almost any ground. I always take studs and moulds, but I am loving trainers.

However, winter is coming...

1727637428236.png

How are they for weight..?

I carry enough so a light shoe is good!
I hover under 90kg and they work well for me. Only issue will be now winter is coming and the rain and the sleet, plus you're in Scotland (I spent the first 22 years of my life up there). They will be rubbish on proper muddy wet pitches.

They are trail shoes, so they handle mud and rain. But if the pitch is a bog I wouldn't bother.

Also that tiger turf stuff bans trainers. So be aware of that.

Also being on the... heavier side, they've worked wonders for my shins. Just proper comfort shoes.

I see a lot of people rave about HOKA.

1727638877678.png

Best trainers I bought were my Hokas. Like running on clouds. Wouldn’t wear them on a football pitch though
View attachment 7612View attachment 7613
I wouldn't wear roadies on grass. My Trails however would probably slow me down. Very grippy with deep lugs for gripping mud.

Might consider getting a black pair of trails and trying out though though trail shoes are usually quite heavy in comparison to roads and boots as there's simply more shoe usually made of more rigid and rugged materials.

Bit more pricey but Adidas Copa Mundial/ World Cups or Nike Premier for me. Comfort and last ages. Used them exclusively for years playing and continued into reffing. Had my latest pair for 3 seasons playing and 3 reffing. If you look after them they’re the best.

Best trainers I bought were my Hokas. Like running on clouds. Wouldn’t wear them on a football pitch though
View attachment 7612View attachment 7613
All in on Hokas here.
I have 5 pairs now.

Clifton wide has been amazing for me since recovery from toe bone knack (metatarsalalgia and morton’s neuroma). I have a black pair now nearly retired after nearly 4 years of refereeing - and I have had to add insoles after punishing them over 250-300 matches etc. but I have replacements already.

Then another for indoor sport and another for every day. I also have one Challenger wide, great looking but leads to some discomfort, unlike the Cliftons.

And I wear on all surfaces and only switch to studs on wet grass. For anyone counting I also ran an 8.47 CODA in them (at 49).

Most matches on artificial for me and the Hokas are #win

Just going to throw this out there, whilst the recommendations for running shoes are great I strongly reccomend having a gait analysis and trying on any pairs ahead of a purchase. As someone who has had issues in the past (plantar fascitis) which I think we're attributable to wrong running shoe for me I don't want anyone just seeing a good running show promoted on here to find the hard way it's not for them. Not all running shoes are made equal

I swear by ASICS for running (which is a shame because all of the rest of my gear is under armour), but I always wear boots for refereeing.

As a daily running shoe, the ASICS Novablast 4s are a dream. Hard to find them in a size 9 in any sort of decent colour mind.

I swear by ASICS for running (which is a shame because all of the rest of my gear is under armour), but I always wear boots for refereeing.

As a daily running shoe, the ASICS Novablast 4s are a dream. Hard to find them in a size 9 in any sort of decent colour mind.
Saucony for me. Endorphin Speeds. Had the V2 and V3. Very versatile, pacey with a nylon plate, but light, comfy and springy so also works equally as good as a training shoe. Great at all distances too, from 5k up to half marathon.

Which brings me back to my point we're all different and have different preference and needs from a running shoe.

Back