A&H

Boot and jewellery check

LM1996

Evening Guys

I just wondered how people conducted the boot check and jewellery check before the game, especially where there are club assistants.

Are you doing this before the teams come out for the game or whilst they are warming up?

The Referee Store
Line them up for the respect handshake and before you do that a quick up and down the line of players checking boots and jewellery and the obligatory "do you need to check my c*ck ring?" wisecrack from a smartass player!

Line them up for the respect handshake and before you do that a quick up and down the line of players checking boots and jewellery and the obligatory "do you need to check my c*ck ring?" wisecrack from a smartass player!
Cheers! I’m sure I will get some smart ones…

How would you approach this if respect handshakes aren’t taking place?

Asking them to line up for me is something I'd use as last resort. Usually at field inspection, or introducing myself to managers and ask shirt colours, they are all on the field and warming up. It's a good opportunity to check. Mind you I never check boots and I have never had problems with them.

Another opportunity is just before kick off when teams huddle for a pep talk.

Asking them to line up for me is something I'd use as last resort. Usually at field inspection, or introducing myself to managers and ask shirt colours, they are all on the field and warming up. It's a good opportunity to check. Mind you I never check boots and I have never had problems with them.

Another opportunity is just before kick off when teams huddle for a pep talk.
During a team huddle is absolutely the last point I'd want to do it. At that time the players are waiting ring to focus on the game and final words from the captain. Breaking that to check equipment is really not cool.

Every league I've operated on in the UK has the respect handshake as a mandatory requirement.

During a team huddle is absolutely the last point I'd want to do it. At that time the players are waiting ring to focus on the game and final words from the captain. Breaking that to check equipment is really not cool.

Every league I've operated on in the UK has the respect handshake as a mandatory requirement.
Seems to be one of the very few things that hasn't come back (yet) post-COVID in my leagues.

I don't do a formal check as such at the moment, but will do a visual check when speaking to the coach/manager pre-game and ask players to ensure any jewellery is removed pre-KO. Think I've had one stray necklace in the last 18 months, but the player had put it back on after I'd asked him to remove it pre-game :hmmm:

Hands held up, I dont do an official check
If i see something glaringly obvious pre match i will have a word, and if during the match, ask for its removal
Never checked boots in years

I have been watching the FA cup games on tv today and i have seen MULTIPLE players wearing rings taped over. I thought this was a no-no?

I have been watching the FA cup games on tv today and i have seen MULTIPLE players wearing rings taped over. I thought this was a no-no?

This is the age old debate that comes up with the likes of Harry Kane. You don't know that there is a ring under the tape, or more likely the cloth things they wear on their fingers. I've certainly checked loads of players with this and I've yet to find a ring under there, certainly not at senior levels. The argument usually is that their other half doesn't like them taking their wedding ring off so they take it off but pretend to cover it.

I haven't seen any league near me outside of the NLS that has handshakes even before Covid, and I can't personally see them coming back even when Covid is a distant memory.

Back