A&H

Blowing up on time

The Referee Store
Yeah like I said, I couldn't find any advice to that effect in the book but I'd be interested to know why you feel that blowing up whilst the ball is in play is generally unwise (?)

I've virtually always done it and note that most top level referees tend not to blow whilst the ball's out of play as well. ;)
Crossed wires. Bad idea to blow with the ball out of play, especially after one player has just wiped out another!!
Whenever the ref chooses to blow up (not literally), it seems to perpetuate whatever is happening at that moment. So when I called full time on a foul, predictable confrontation ensued. Dissent and shenanigans are more prevalent when the ball is dead, so ending the game at this time begs for more of the same. On the contrary, a serene moment with the ball in neutral play likely leads to hand shakes all round as the player momentarily forget that they hate each other; and the ref 👍😎

I know I’m not alone in doing this, but I got Kudos from one home team manager the other week:

Time was pretty much up, but ball had just been hoofed out of play and was a good 30 yards from the pitch. As we waited for the thrower to go and collect the ball the home team manager asked me how long/asked me to blow up (the scoreline was not close by this stage.)

“Yeah, I’m just waiting for him to get the ball, if I blew up now, no one would go and get it.”

Player returns, takes throw in, I blow, manger gives me knowing wink & smile.

I always thought the ball had to be in play before you could blow for time anyway? :confused:

It is a well worn myth, but just a myth. I think it goes back to the time when only one ball was permitted in a game and the referee was expected to return it at the end of the game. Easier to get the ball back if it's in play than if it is in the stands or down the hill.

Only thing I'd add is that if that if it is an attacking play (CK/FK/TI into the PA) you're best off either blowing before it's taken or after it resolves to avoid the ball going into the net as you tweet.

I think its also important never to commit.
"how long to go ref", is not 5 mins, its, about 5 mins , and so on
Same if you get to the above, an attack and there are 10 secs, the answer is, "not very long at all",
Have also heard "last attack", which again, could involve 5/6 shots rattling gk and woodwork, so,, don't commit !

be as open ended as you can.

You have the get out clause if its ever needed, that, you are by law, the sole timer keeper. Really though it should not come to that

Also when on line, benches will ask how long, and, even on far side, as AR you can be asked...if you have not had the indication from the ref, its "you've played 90, I don't know how long he is adding". And even with notification, its, played 90 and looks like minimum of 2.
Again don't commit, answer as best you can.
Each to own but I don't indicate to my ARs, if they are desperate, they can ask, and they will be told same as players. With a 4th, yes, they get the message of the minimum I will be adding.

Last edited:
Here's one mistake I once made people can learn from:

There's a clear attack on, ball just outside the PA. It's a contested attack, but a clear attack nonetheless. This goal would matter, and we're into that 'I'll let this attack play out' stage.

Attacking team commits a foul. I blow for full time.
My thought process was that well, they've committed a foul, the attack is over, game's over.

Of course, it caused argument as it looks like I stopped an attack (which I still insist should be fine.....but anyhoo). Would have been better to award the FK, then FT.

Now, had I awarded the FK, defence taken it quickly and it be intercepted by the attack, then it gets interesting :p

Here's one mistake I once made people can learn from:

There's a clear attack on, ball just outside the PA. It's a contested attack, but a clear attack nonetheless. This goal would matter, and we're into that 'I'll let this attack play out' stage.

Attacking team commits a foul. I blow for full time.
My thought process was that well, they've committed a foul, the attack is over, game's over.

Of course, it caused argument as it looks like I stopped an attack (which I still insist should be fine.....but anyhoo). Would have been better to award the FK, then FT.

Now, had I awarded the FK, defence taken it quickly and it be intercepted by the attack, then it gets interesting :p

I’m sure someone will slaight me for this, but I’d have a quiet word with the free kick taker: “hoof it up the pitch, and I’ll blow up”

I’ve done similar from a goal kick, when a defender has ask how long to go and he (the defender) has then relayed this to the keeper, telling him to play it long, not short.

I’m sure someone will slaight me for this, but I’d have a quiet word with the free kick taker: “hoof it up the pitch, and I’ll blow up”

I’ve done similar from a goal kick, when a defender has ask how long to go and he (the defender) has then relayed this to the keeper, telling him to play it long, not short.
true, or even just blow the whistle once you see it happening :)

No beeps on my £10 casios. One on stopwatch, one on normal time. If I forget to restart the stopwatch then I know how long I've got left on the other one (just look at what time the 2nd half starts and then you know what time it will finish + rough amount of stoppage time). Foolproof.....

You are the referee and you are the sole timekeeper, so you decide when time is up.

Try to use a bit of common sense and let the attack reach its natural conclusion, or have the ball run out of play.

If a team scores dead on the last kick, let them kick off again then blow and say that time was up after the goal was scored. Most teams will accept this and it helps you and your match control.

Usually if its a corner towards the end I say to the taker or attacking team "last one gents" so they know you're going to blow.

Little things like that go a long way in terms of match control.

Back