A&H

Blackburn vs Cardiff

The Referee Store
This was covered in the EFLs behind the whistle feature:

"Blackburn Rovers 1-0 Cardiff City

Incident: Potential Red Card

Decision: Yellow Card awarded

I think this is an example of a decision that required evidence from the different perspectives of the refereeing team – the referee, assistant referee and fourth official, given their differing viewing angles.

There is a genuine attempt to challenge for a bouncing ball, and the intensity of the challenge is probably mitigated by the low speed and degree of control. That being said, the point of contact is high with the leading foot on the upper thigh of the opposition player.

With the player’s safety in mind, I believe the better outcome would have been the issuing of a red card for serious foul play."

This was covered in the EFLs behind the whistle feature:

"Blackburn Rovers 1-0 Cardiff City

Incident: Potential Red Card

Decision: Yellow Card awarded

I think this is an example of a decision that required evidence from the different perspectives of the refereeing team – the referee, assistant referee and fourth official, given their differing viewing angles.

There is a genuine attempt to challenge for a bouncing ball, and the intensity of the challenge is probably mitigated by the low speed and degree of control. That being said, the point of contact is high with the leading foot on the upper thigh of the opposition player.

With the player’s safety in mind, I believe the better outcome would have been the issuing of a red card for serious foul play."
This is a similar situation to a few games prior when we played middlesborough; John Buckley was sent off for throwing the ball at a Middlesborough player, not exceesivley just a little touch. referee had his back turned so effectively it was down to what the fourth official and assistants had seen.

I think most of decisions that rely on this are usually identified and penalised very well but some conflicting opinions between each other is probably why this wasnt given red.

Of course, in the championship there is no VAR so its down to referees discrection with that one look at it, but i would never have VAR in the championship

This is a similar situation to a few games prior when we played middlesborough; John Buckley was sent off for throwing the ball at a Middlesborough player, not exceesivley just a little touch. referee had his back turned so effectively it was down to what the fourth official and assistants had seen
He could have killed him! ;)

This is a similar situation to a few games prior when we played middlesborough; John Buckley was sent off for throwing the ball at a Middlesborough player, not exceesivley just a little touch. referee had his back turned so effectively it was down to what the fourth official and assistants had seen.
The thing that probably swung that decision was that he didn't just "throw[..] the ball at a Middlesbrough player", he threw it at (and it made contact with) the player's head. Violent conduct offences that involve contact with the opponent's head or face are always judged more harshly.

The thing that probably swung that decision was that he didn't just "throw[..] the ball at a Middlesbrough player", he threw it at (and it made contact with) the player's head. Violent conduct offences that involve contact with the opponent's head or face are always judged more harshly.
wasnt necessarily excessive force, which is needed for violent conduct im sure

wasnt necessarily excessive force, which is needed for violent conduct im sure
It's true that it normally requires either excessive force or brutality.

However there's one scenario where it doesn't. As I alluded to before, contact to the head or face is viewed by different criteria. To wit, the law says that any deliberate strike to the head or face with the hand or arm is violent conduct "unless the force used was negligible."

I don't think it's too much of a stretch to consider that throwing the ball at someone's head is very much akin to striking them in the face or head with the hand or arm and so the same criteria could arguably be used for such an offence.

In any event, it seems that the match officials decided it met the criteria for violent conduct, because that's what he was dismissed for.

Back