A&H

Blackburn penalty

You would expect a late whistle on a late tackle. By the time it became an obvious foul (for me anyway) the shot was being taken. Contact was made after the shot taker had already had his first touch. You don't blow the whistle for a pen as a shot is being taken. It's common sense refereeing. Not signalling advantage is also common sense.

I am not sure if all that was by design anyway. I think the referee needed some thinking time (or just too slow to react). Note that the whistle didn't come until about a second and half after the save. If you are waiting for a shot outcome, you would blow immediately after the save not a second and a half later.

Better quality vid here at 1.30
http://hlfc.matchat.online/embed/pCZIV7GTTm

The Referee Store
This is, I think, a problem within the laws. As for whether it's a foul, we're best guessing from a poor clip. It was very late, and if it was as hard as it looks and not a dive, then it's a foul.

The problem is that the ball has gone to a teammate who has a shot - but it's inferior to a penalty kick. But you don't want to blow the whistle before the shot is taken.
But awarding the penalty here IS taking 2 bites at the cherry - the fact that this shot didn't score is not due to the original foul.

I personally think the LOTG needs to change here. IMO the referee has broken the laws here and allowed 2 bites at the cherry - but I'd rather see the laws structured in such a way that the referee isn't forced into a lose-lose scenario like he is here.

This is, I think, a problem within the laws. As for whether it's a foul, we're best guessing from a poor clip. It was very late, and if it was as hard as it looks and not a dive, then it's a foul.

The problem is that the ball has gone to a teammate who has a shot - but it's inferior to a penalty kick. But you don't want to blow the whistle before the shot is taken.
But awarding the penalty here IS taking 2 bites at the cherry - the fact that this shot didn't score is not due to the original foul.

I personally think the LOTG needs to change here. IMO the referee has broken the laws here and allowed 2 bites at the cherry - but I'd rather see the laws structured in such a way that the referee isn't forced into a lose-lose scenario like he is here.
I'd say it was reckless even if no contact was made!

Although you're right in saying the foul has nothing to do with them not scoring from the shot, the shot is at such a narrow angle that the likelihood of scoring is small. Except you can't just award the penalty straight away, because you'll look a complete idiot if the player does somehow manage to score the shot. One and a half bites at most ;)

I remember Grayson's teams winning 10 in a row but included some cup games. We can beat Hull on Saturday and then have a tricky trip to Forest (one of my favourite grounds and favourite other teams). I am getting a bit excited now, not much though as I remember spectacular disasters coming from this point onwards.
Last time I was at Forest was to relegate a beleaguered Cloughie, one of the greatest managers never to manage England!! Shame his career was tainted in LS11 by player power. Wouldn't happen these days!!! ;)

Found it. First viewing I was on the fence, now I think it’s a dive and I’m not even sure about the advantage, seeing as he’s played it and the player missed his shot THEN he gave the pen. Thoughts?

Don’t take this the wrong way, but there’s definitely a theme in the Leeds videos you post and the side you take ....

I think it was a delayed whistle more than advantage, but penalty is the correct decision.

As a Leeds fan have to say that this is a pen even though the ref blew late overall thought Steve Martin had a half decent game yesterday which makes a change to the likes of Madley Simpson and Bankes

As a Leeds fan have to say that this is a pen even though the ref blew late overall thought Steve Martin had a half decent game yesterday which makes a change to the likes of Madley Simpson and Bankes
You can have Geoff Eltringham if you like, I don't think he's invited to the New Year Party!!

Back