A&H

Black Kit and dissent

HertsFinest

Next Weeks Ref
Game at the weekend I had a team wearing all black with one thin pink band on one arm of kit. Both teams had black shorts and socks and no spare to change

I informed captains before game that black kit shouldn't happen and because of clash I won't be able to call every throw or goal/corner kick spot on because its impossible.

During the match this caused unbelievable amounts of dissent and off in a bus (furious with myself that I didn't send off 4/5 players).

How would you guys handle this? The match became a joke with the worst levels of abuse I've ever experienced as a referee and also in any match I've been witness to. Only handed out cautions for dissent which was totally wrong, should have dismissed a good few for S6 but I think the pressure and abuse was so high, I crumbled somewhat.

The Referee Store
If you don't mind me saying so, it seems like you had a bad attitude going into it. If the kits were unacceptably close to one another, you have a choice: you either get on with it as if it was a normal game and suck it up, or you tell the home team they either change or you abandon the match. The whole "I'll let you play but I may have a stinker and it's all your fault" thing is not an option. Also, if you're furious at yourself for not sending off 4/5 players, then you may need to reconsider your attitude again. Look at your actions earlier in the game and that might explain why the behaviour was so appalling for the entirety of the match.

There would be no game if they didn't change their tops. Simple as that. (I am aware opinions on the forum vary on this one)

As for the abuse and dissent and your frustration with how you dealt with it, I am sure we have all been there mate.

Unfortunately it sounds like you made a rod for your own back. Nobody likes to whip out the the cards, but sometimes it's the only thing that will reassert the referees authority. If it's becoming a joke, pull down the shutters for 10 minutes and blow for everything. So much as breath heavily on an opponent - that's gonna be a foul. Use disciplinary sanctions to the letter of the LOTG. See if this calms things down. They will accuse you of ruining the game, but it sounds pretty ruined anyway from you describe.

Don't dwell on it too much. Put it down to experience, learn from it and move on. There's another game around the corner.

OK, first off, don't beat yourself up over what you didn't do......you can't change what happened so no point lamenting about it. But it is important to learn from it.

It definitely needs reporting to the league, as the 2 teams should have sorted out any kit clashes when they confirmed the match. The league are idiots for allowing such a kit in the first place, so maybe a follow up email to your CFA advising them of this.

Personally, i would have done exactly what you did with the captains, but would have stamped hard on any dissent right from the outset. After the first couple of disputed throw ins etc, would have called the skippers back in and reminded them of what i said, and told them that if it carries on then the cards will come out and stay out until their players either learn to shut up or are back in the changing rooms enjoying an early shower.

Hindsight is great. Don't beat yourself up though about the lack of red cards.

Only thing I'd say is make sure that you make it 100% crystal clear in your match report to the league (I assume you have to do them) that the team wore black. It must (should) be in the league rulebook that no team can "wear black or very dark coloured kit". It certainly is in mine. All kits/colours my way have to be approved by the league but I'm guessing that there will be a team somewhere that tried to bend the rules. Little story, did a cup final last season, team (usually wore yellow) turned up in a "specially bought for this cup final ref, honest" black and very dark blue striped ensemble. No way were they going to be allowed it and the league VIPs at the match told them to get it changed in no uncertain terms. They ended up having to borrow a reserve kit from the team of the ground where the final was and looked utterly silly.

Thanks for the responses. Padfoot you're spot on and I did get the captains in after ten minutes but did little. It was one of those games where yes I could have done different but the players were in one of those moods anyway.

Owen I'm very interested to know how you know my attitude was bad before the start? Very strange comment to make there fella..

Because of what you said that you said. "I informed captains before game that black kit shouldn't happen and because of clash I won't be able to call every throw or goal/corner kick spot on because its impossible." That's a silly thing to say: you can either do your job, or you can't and if you can't then the match doesn't go on. It sounds to me like you copped an attitude of "well because you lot aren't doing what you're supposed to do, I'm going to do you all a favor by playing the match but don't you dare question my decisions because remember it was I who did you a favor."

Because of what you said that you said. "I informed captains before game that black kit shouldn't happen and because of clash I won't be able to call every throw or goal/corner kick spot on because its impossible." That's a silly thing to say: you can either do your job, or you can't and if you can't then the match doesn't go on. It sounds to me like you copped an attitude of "well because you lot aren't doing what you're supposed to do, I'm going to do you all a favor by playing the match but don't you dare question my decisions because remember it was I who did you a favor."

Completely and utterly incorrect in your guess at what I did or what attitude I had

I'm not guessing what you did; you told us what you said.
Re read your post. The bit that starts "it seems to me that you copped an attitude of..."

Not ignoring your advice, just saying that I did not have any preconceived attitudes and worked the same as I always do. So I can assure you advice around what you believe my attitude to be isn't warranted...

Herts said 'I'm very interested to know how you know my attitude was bad'

but

Ryan actually said 'it seems like you had a bad attitude'

Which is subtly, tho' importantly, different

There's never a monkey around when you need one ;)

Only one person in black on my pitch. Got asked to wear a bib on Sunday.

How many bibs you got captain?

Bout 12 ref. Why?

That makes one each then.

Reds v blacks became reds v green with black sleeves.

Everyone (!) was happy and no fines / reports of non-ompliace.

That was untill the legaue sec asked me today if there were any problem with the kits as there "normally is with that team".

Had a similar incident Saturday, both teams had the same Nike kit, one was blue with thick black stripes and a black back the other was dark green with the same black, although 2 totally different colours it aw a really tricky game as the colours just kept merging in to one. Both had the same colour socks n shorts as well (black!!) luckily 95% of one team had "coloured" tape around the socks, so allowed it. First decision I had to make was an easy corner and due to the colour clash gave a goal kick, cue the abuse, defender started laughing cue my change of decision to the right decision, I made a massive joke about it at the time this seemed to win over both teams and it was what it was, I dealt with it and got on with, ended 4-4 with everyone happy!! Tough afternoon though

Curiosity got the better of me, svenny

Hopefully you now appreciate the beauty of padfoot's response :)

With you on the jewellery bit, mind

Simple solution, refs can choose to ignore the lotg on jewellery if they wish...providing that they are obliged to shove any additional items up where the sun don't shine after the game

There's never a monkey around when you need one ;)
I've been out working my magic on the football fields of wales this evening. Back now.

What did I miss? (Not the first time I have said that tonight!) ;)

Back