The Ref Stop

Ladies Bizarre

Phonesurgeon

Cook, Cleaner and Bottle Washer
Level 7 Referee
So as the title, today I had the most bizarre game forfeiture ever.
13.48 I get team sheet from away team, and I ask the whole team to take jewellery, watch glasses etc off.
Then I stroll over to home team and repeat the same.
13.59 blow the whistle and call captains.
Home captain was there in a flash, while the away captain leisurely stroll over, and before I can say anything, starts with that the player with normal everyday glass can't see without them, I reiterate that either she takes glasses off or she isn't playing.
She then say they are having difficulties in removing jewellery, while she had a wrist watch under a sweatband.
Then she goes on saying that these issues have never been an issue before only me I want to be a "jobsworth".
It's 14.03 now, so I say you have to 2 more minutes to field a team, so I can start the game.
Captain runs to manager, away manager goes to talk to home manager, while I have to explain to home player what's happening.
At 14.12 away captain informs me that they're forfeiting the game.
As I collect my fee, and walking out both teams are now fielded for a friendly match.
I am speechless, don't know wether to laugh curse or burn the world down.
Anyway WGS report under extraordinary? And thick the box as incident cause abandonment?

The Ref Stop
I haven’t used WGS system in years, but I’d say that’s your best option.

Did the team that forfeit have 11 players? This sounds like a scenario of them not having enough players, so the 2 managers agreeing to a ‘friendly’ since they’ve booked the pitch.

I think your stance on glasses is too stringent. Jewellery has to come off though no question
I've had a quick little look at the FA guidance on the matter and it only really refers to letting children play with normal glasses if it's not going to endanger themselves or anyone else. Nothing really about open age players. Not very helpful 🤷‍♂️

@Runner Ref
They had 10 one of which wearing glasses.

@es1
Should anything happens to that player, or anyone she collides with, while wearing glasses, you would be on your own up the creek without a paddle!

I'd love to hear your reasoning infront of a discipline panel.

I've seen someone post about glasses on here with a FA link before. Gist is, sports glasses that are rounded off and made from plastic and designed for football are fine. Your standard glasses are not fine. At grassroots I have let people play who have rounded glasses.

Glasses guidance from the FA:

In this article you will...

Understand the advise for players wearing spectacles / goggles during a match.
Flying footballs and close physical contact make football a moderate risk sport for eye injuries. Spectacles or goggles may provide protection from injury and can also be worn with those who need to wear prescription lenses.

Polycarbonate Lenses: This is the most important property of all protective spectacles or goggles. Good polycarbonate is virtually unbreakable, and will sustain the impact of a ball or finger.

Sports Band: an elasticised band and not temple pieces should secure the frame. Players must have something that will be secured tight to the head so that the spectacles or goggles won't fall off. A frame with temples will not hold tight enough and a jab from a finger could lift the frame off and potentially damage the eye.

Although sports eyewear is intended to offer the best protection available, there is always the possibility that the wearer may sustain an eye or facial injury due to severe impact or because of the nature of the athletic activity. Referees should ensure that if a request has been made to wear glasses/goggles, that they must not be a danger to himself or to any other player.

Children and Grassroots Football: Whilst The FA recommends Polycarbonate lenses we recognise this may be an issue for children playing in grassroots football. Therefore we encourage referees officiating in grassroots youth football to be tolerant over glasses. However the individual referee has to show concern for all those playing in that game and if s/he feels there is something dangerous in the glasses i.e. sharp edges, etc, then in order to protect players and also the wearer him/herself s/he has the authority to say the glasses can’t be worn.

Back