A&H

Bizarre things you notice from matches

wazztie16

Level 4 Referee
Level 4 Referee
Had a line yesterday, OA Premier Division.

I didn't give a single offside.

Yes, I was paying attention, there were just no offsides for me. Opposite AR had about 5/6 all game I think.

It just surprised me.

Anyone else have anything bizarre like that ever happen?

The Referee Store
I had the same in a southern league prem game the other week. Again, there just weren't any to give.

I had 2 games on the line last weekend with a combined 15 goals, only 4 were scored at my end.

Felt lonely!

I had 2 games on the line last weekend with a combined 15 goals, only 4 were scored at my end.

Felt lonely!

I bet you felt lonely, in fairness I find it's nice not being shouted at most of the game etc, but then get annoyed if nothing really happens my end.

I CAR for my local side regularly, and they play a really deep line. Last 6 matches I doubt I've given more than four offsides in total.

Had a game last year with only one corner in it which came in the 90th minute. Was tempted to give a goal kick to keep a clean sheet but it was too obvious. :)

Once had a game with more corners than fouls (as counted by the observer)

None of my games have ever gone to extra time. I thought one would a few weeks ago until a centre back scored a 25 yard screamer in the 91st minute to make it 2-1.

EDIT: guaranteed my County Cup semi final with a 2pm kick off will, now I've said this 🙄

I CAR for my local side regularly, and they play a really deep line.

I've noticed this at youth level. I got assigned some youth county cup fixtures on the line last season and without fail every youth team played with an old fashioned Sweeper dropping behind the defensive line, playing everyone onside.

It happened in the semi-final and it took until about 4-0 before the losing team manager clicked and told the players to play a flat defensive line and start utilising offside. I don't know whether it is a holdover from youth no-offside rules, or whether they don't coach offside lines etc until they're older?

Regardless, youth AR fixtures are dull affairs for offside in my experience at least until U15-16.

I've noticed this at youth level. I got assigned some youth county cup fixtures on the line last season and without fail every youth team played with an old fashioned Sweeper dropping behind the defensive line, playing everyone onside.

It happened in the semi-final and it took until about 4-0 before the losing team manager clicked and told the players to play a flat defensive line and start utilising offside. I don't know whether it is a holdover from youth no-offside rules, or whether they don't coach offside lines etc until they're older?

Regardless, youth AR fixtures are dull affairs for offside in my experience at least until U15-16.

I also CAR regularly for my son's team and they are always playing attackers onside. I think it is because at a younger age it is drummed into them to be 'goal side' of attackers. They get very nervous to have an attacker nearer to their goal than they are.

For me it gets frustrating, in my mind I'm preparing for the forward ball and flag up, then a defender notices and takes two paces back!

None of my games have ever gone to extra time. I thought one would a few weeks ago until a centre back scored a 25 yard screamer in the 91st minute to make it 2-1.

EDIT: guaranteed my County Cup semi final with a 2pm kick off will, now I've said this 🙄

Remember the first rule of ref club: no extra time!

Back