A&H

Junior/Youth Bizarre overreaction in U15 girls fixture

SLI39

This morning's match taught me that, even after many years and a gut feeling that a match is going well, one can never be fully prepared for potential incidents.

I had overseen a very uneventful 30 mins of a game with the away team up 3-0 already. I had given perhaps two free kicks; I then gave a free kick for the home side for a slight ankle kick. This provoked an almighty shout about fairness/consistency from across the pitch from a previously unassuming young male coach with whom I had conversed amiably prior to kick off. This was so public and aggressive that it probably warranted a dissent caution on the spot, but given the quiet atmosphere up to that point, I made a gesture to the effect of "really?" and continued.

However, this raised its head again early in the second half, as he was vocally aggrieved at not getting a penalty for a defender shepherding a ball back to her goalkeeper, the type which might be an IFK maybe 2% of the time. I, and I think others, were becoming utterly bemused by this apparent power move. It was either the result of insecurity, boredom or something social/behavioural that might put his responsibility for a team of 14 year olds in question. I had simply never seen such a disparity between his anger and the state of the match with his team not complaining and leading 4-0.
I decided to address him in full view on the sideline, and essentially said that I would escalate it to yellow card for dissent if he opened his mouth again. I thought at first he hadn't listened, as he said he needed to 'protect his girls', but there wasn't any further trouble.

Would you have handled it any differently and have you ever been surprised by how a quiet match suddenly tests you?

Last edited:
The Referee Store
Shrug. Probably thought there was a foul or two you should have called for his team and that the one you called, which you say was minor, was less than what you didn’t call for his team. Sound like the implicit warning you gave was enough for the match.

Shrug. Probably thought there was a foul or two you should have called for his team and that the one you called, which you say was minor, was less than what you didn’t call for his team. Sound like the implicit warning you gave was enough for the match.
I tend to agree, and would actually kind of understand if there had been a few I had let go, but it was not a physical match and he was citing absolutely trivial contact. It genuinely felt as if he had decided the match needed a scene to make his weekend.
As you say, a word did suffice on this occasion.

I don't disagree with you; I admit it was warranted. It's hard sometimes to break from the false notion that cautions are only given after warnings.
As you say, it all depends what they do. If they are getting a bit rowdy then warn first. If they immediately jump into yellow/red territory then sanction as required. We are told that when we write a report it reads best when the step approach is applied, but of course we know that isn't always possible.

Back