A&H

Biggest difference between kids-adult games

spuddy1878

RefChat Addict
Im doing an adult game today something i generally haven't done previously, in the main i do 12-16 year old youth football.

Any tips for today, i know laws of the game dont change, also got no assistants with me.

I was thinking especially with law changes since last season would it be good idea to have a couple of minutes with both sets of players before the game.

The Referee Store
I'm guessing this is a pre-season non-competitive game.

I would ask them which set of laws they want to play to, just as an opening line. I'd then ask them if they wanted you to explain everything before the game (it took me 45 minutes to give an overview to a group on Tuesday and answer their questions) and they won't remember it. Or do they want you to explain any changes which might crop up as you go through the game.

You have got assistants, you get someone to be Club AR and ask them to do whatever you usually would.

Well I enjoyed that !!

Hardest game I’ve done but also the most enjoyable by some distance.

Game finished 4-3

One big decision forward through on goal defender wrong side gets bit on the ball but goes through the player to get it.

Free kick right on edge of the box but defending team fuming that I’ve given it, would have been a red card in league game but did agree with both sides wouldn’t be any reds for those sort of offences.

Big difference obviously as 20 year olds are a lot quicker than 13 year olds but the plus side is you don’t or didn’t today have anyone from the line getting involved like noisy parents.

Nah I disagree.

If it’s a bad tackle or any sort of violent conduct then yes, lads had travelled from Manchester to Liverpool to get fit, he’s made a genuine attempt to win the ball, don't want to see lads sitting on the sidelines and 11v10

Nah I disagree.

If it’s a bad tackle or any sort of violent conduct then yes, lads had travelled from Manchester to Liverpool to get fit, he’s made a genuine attempt to win the ball, don't want to see lads sitting on the sidelines and 11v10
Why is it a red in a grassroots league game then? Lad pays to play and travels every week to get fit. After all a plastic trophy at the end of the season doesn't mean much?

As a referee you don't decide those things. I can understand if it involved lowering tolerance or within the limitations that the laws allow but once you say it's a red in a league game it has to be a red in any game.

Do you have a written set of laws you don't apply in a 'friendly' or do you just decide them as you go? I think you see the point I am making.

That's not allowable, I'm afraid. As per IFAB circular 15, issued March 11, 2019:
Absolutely correct @Peter Grove which is why it is an opening question because the response is likely to be, "Why? Have they changed?" or "What's the difference?" at which point it allows you to highlight that they have changed. Then came the second question... tell all now or ask we go along?

Nah I disagree
You won't drum up much support for your leniency on here young fellow. However, we always see elite officials refereeing 'friendlies' differently so I'll lend an understanding take to your pickle. Personally, I'm very selective over which friendlies I take on because they's a pain in the arse per se
Don't forget that your good spirit will soon be used to stab you in the back at the first opportunity by everyone in attendance

I thought id get slated ha ha

So two minutes into a game pre season friendly keeper comes steaming out his box and DOGSO, referees would send him off ?

I know its the LOTG but still believe some common sense should be used.

Similar situation, what if game is one sided and say 7/8-0 and keeper does the same with say 10 minutes to go, is he seeing red ?

I thought id get slated ha ha

So two minutes into a game pre season friendly keeper comes steaming out his box and DOGSO, referees would send him off ?

I know its the LOTG but still believe some common sense should be used.

Similar situation, what if game is one sided and say 7/8-0 and keeper does the same with say 10 minutes to go, is he seeing red ?
Yes to both....red every time and why not? It's still a game of football and the laws still apply. You're just not doing your job correctly.......
And if you expected to get slated why give us the opportunity we'd be ignorant of how lax a referee you are on friendlies.....

Common sense/being lax in enforcement makes sense when there is an “orange” play or when it is a “soft” yellow. Not so much on a clear red or yellow. But that’s a far cry from agreeing with team in advance not to apply dogso (or whatever your exact agreement was)—of course players are going to commit DOGSO when you tell the, in advance they won’t be sanctioned for it.

I would but I take it you wont. So same game 5 minutes later, free kick from outside at the other end and a defender (not keeper) makes diving save with his hands on the goal line. What do you do? Square it up by keeping the defender in? Seven minutes into the game and its a free for all. Does this game really need a qualified referee now?

Just apply the laws. Give latitude when the laws allow it and don't take the heat for players' wrong doing.

Apply the laws, otherwise why referee the game, they can can get any geezer with a whistle to run around.
Problem with "common sense" is that it's not common.

Back