A&H

Big penalty Boo Boo !!!

Zimmyman

Ok I give a penalty player comes up shoots !! Ball hits underside of the bounces out player runs up and scores I point to centre circle goal !!! Then walking back realise it’s not touched another player not one person watching says a thing so I just rightly or wrongly sell it !! It bugged me for the rest of the game but I just got it wrong a mistake !! Big mistake not picked up by players or parents under 14s it’s a learning curve but I felt stupid advice would be good I think I’ve learnt this one now ?

The Referee Store
Ok I give a penalty player comes up shoots !! Ball hits underside of the bounces out player runs up and scores I point to centre circle goal !!! Then walking back realise it’s not touched another player not one person watching says a thing so I just rightly or wrongly sell it !! It bugged me for the rest of the game but I just got it wrong a mistake !! Big mistake not picked up by players or parents under 14s it’s a learning curve but I felt stupid advice would be good I think I’ve learnt this one now ?

I don't think you need advice. Sometimes you need to make a mistake, learn from it and never make it again! For me, I add it to the 'list of things to consider' in my head when there's a penalty.

It takes a lot of courage to admit big mistakes. Unfortunately it wasn't to be at game time. But you found it now and discussing it here. Don't lose sleep over it. You are not the first and you won't be the last.

I guess there are two lessons to learn from this incident. If the same incident happens again, you'd get it right. And if you get ANY match changing decision wrong and you realise it before restart, correct it even though no one else knows it was wrong.

I'd be correcting it even though that would be unpopular. Only needs one of the player or coaches to have a lightbulb "hang on, he's touched it twice" moment later in the game and you then have a very difficult discussion. Or they remember after and complain to the competition, given it isn't a referee getting a decision wrong but rather being incorrect in law there's every chance they'd have to replay it.

I'd be correcting it even though that would be unpopular. Only needs one of the player or coaches to have a lightbulb "hang on, he's touched it twice" moment later in the game and you then have a very difficult discussion. Or they remember after and complain to the competition, given it isn't a referee getting a decision wrong but rather being incorrect in law there's every chance they'd have to replay it.
Really? When has that ever happened?

Many times. County cup games for when extra time should have been played but wasn't, or vice versa. One here for a penalty error - https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...ror-by-referee-opens-can-of-worms-421759.html. Another here - https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10011147. More recently here, although only the final few minutes were replayed - https://www.foxsports.com/soccer/st...ted-after-referee-error-in-96th-minute-040915. And there have been many more at grassroots level but they don't usually make the press.

Just adding on to what Rusty linked:

It happens locally as well. They can get raised at some referee's society meetings, generally anonymously, but obviously you can identify incidents from your own matches in some of them and more obviously, the league will know exactly which match and who was officiating when it happened anyway.

Depends on your society though, but I guess the point is, word does get out and it does go around even if you don't hear it yourself.

This happened from a corner kick at one of our local cup finals a few years ago. The ball went across, hit the upright at the top corner and went straight back to the kicker without touching anyone else. He put the ball back across for it to be headed in for the winning goal. Neither the players nor the officials realised what had happened, so the goal was given. The only ones to spot it were the half dozen refs stood watching on the sidelines!
The match should have been replayed but that was never going to happen because the season ended a couple of days later. The Referee got some stick for that one!

It was a kick off after 8th goal of 9 or something silly, so no danger of a replay! but I let a player who kicked the ball twice from kick off have another go.

Looked it up - I mean how many times does THAT happen?! - and of course should have an IDFK to oppo.

Of course, no one on the day said a word!

It was a kick off after 8th goal of 9 or something silly, so no danger of a replay! but I let a player who kicked the ball twice from kick off have another go.

Looked it up - I mean how many times does THAT happen?! - and of course should have an IDFK to oppo.

Of course, no one on the day said a word!

That's a bit different anyway, regardless of score, as it wasn't a game changing decision. Most if not all of those that have led to replays relate to incorrect sanctions on penalty kicks or incorrect application of competition rules, especially in relation to extra time.

I do agree that making a mistake is the very best way to learn. Back in 1979 I was a club linesman (no Ar's then) and our team took a goal kick. The opposition headed the ball back towards our goal, finding a player totally free 20 yards out from goal. I immediately raised my flag for offside, and the ref blew his whistle....only for everyone to realise that the goal kick had been taken by our full back, who was still standing in the goal area next to the keeper! As I said, this was over 40 years ago....and I still remember it and am on guard every time a defender takes a goal kick.

That's a bit different anyway, regardless of score, as it wasn't a game changing decision. Most if not all of those that have led to replays relate to incorrect sanctions on penalty kicks or incorrect application of competition rules, especially in relation to extra time.

My points were

a) We've all done it
b) Even those that are blatantly wrong in law, as op, are often not challenged on the day

Of course every 'foul throw', 'high boot', 'kicking the ball away' or 'obstruction' ARE noticed!:rolleyes:

I do agree that making a mistake is the very best way to learn.

I prefer to learn from other people’s mistakes! :cool:

But then, that’s by I like these types of boards—it’s a great way to learn from what others have done. Certainly doesn’t have the same impact, but I know I have things I haven’t messed up because I’ve been aware of issues from what I’ve read in these discussions.

During key match incidents, it is incredibly important to raise your concentration levels to avoid making errors. Most assessors can accept a technical error or a bad habit, but when a KMI is incorrectly done, you can rest assured that the report will not be kind.

In this case, you recognized the initial error in the KMI but failed to correct it. This is probably, for me, the bigger problem. If you had thought you had seen someone touch the ball and made the error then ok. If you didn't know the Law, then ok. If you had a lapse of focus and awarded the goal, then ok. But having been aware of your mistake before having restarted play and not correcting it is significantly less ok. Here, again, the fact that it is a KMI means that it is tremendously necessary to get it right, even where you might lose some standing with the players. In this case, it sounds like you were very lucky that the players were completely ignorant--but now they don't think they're ignorant and when the same thing happens again, any future referee will have an extremely hard time giving an IDFK the other way.

During key match incidents, it is incredibly important to raise your concentration levels to avoid making errors. Most assessors can accept a technical error or a bad habit, but when a KMI is incorrectly done, you can rest assured that the report will not be kind.

In this case, you recognized the initial error in the KMI but failed to correct it. This is probably, for me, the bigger problem. If you had thought you had seen someone touch the ball and made the error then ok. If you didn't know the Law, then ok. If you had a lapse of focus and awarded the goal, then ok. But having been aware of your mistake before having restarted play and not correcting it is significantly less ok. Here, again, the fact that it is a KMI means that it is tremendously necessary to get it right, even where you might lose some standing with the players. In this case, it sounds like you were very lucky that the players were completely ignorant--but now they don't think they're ignorant and when the same thing happens again, any future referee will have an extremely hard time giving an IDFK the other way.
I was honest to bring it up and I also hear all what you say !! It was a mistake the team were winning 6-0 and they were a volatile team that I’d had trouble with in the past so rightly or wrongly I sold it bearing in mind I was not 100% sure because in over more than 100 penalties I’d never had this happen before !! I was honest about it to the group
And it is a learning curve for me but yes I hear all what you suggest and I’m sure I’m not the only ref that this has happened to but not all will admit to there errors thank you for your input

Back