A&H

Bibs!

Gary Milton

Level 7 Referee
Never seen this before... have you?
Pitch next to me (Old ref - Not that that makes a difference I guess)...
Blue V Reds...

3 players on the Blues must not have had the correct shirt.... so the referee made them wear bibs.... Bright Orange bibs.... it looked rather strange...

I would have said you can wear bibs but they need to be blue... but certainly not a completely different colour!? Very strange!

Has anyone else seen this before, had it happen to you? How did you deal with it?

The Referee Store
If that's the only bib available i really wouldn't have a problem with it at this level. I guess it's just common sense, both teams know who's team the bibs are on. It seems over the top to call off the game because the bib isn't the correct colour. I do think the whole team should of changed to the bibs though if they had enough.

Cup final yesterday turned up to find the keeper in a completely black kit. He ended up playing with a bib on, but was the only option. Needless to say the league officials from the league the cup was part of were not impressed!

To be honest if a team couldn't even manage to turn up wearing the same colours I'd have more to worry about.......

I once refereed a local first grade match where both teams has predominantly white strips, one team didn't bring their alternate and the home team had nothing available, so the away team wore bibs. Not ideal, of course, but the other 2 options were to not play the match or play a clashing strip. So, best of 3 options. Just meant any bookings the player had to lift the bib to show me the number (in Aus we just record the number, not the name).

As for just a few players.....I think it kind of depends on the grade really. There's a fair argument to be made that if these players don't have the right equipment they shouldn't be playing. I'd be talking this through with the 2 captains first (coaches if youth).

Some interesting opinions. For me it is a case of all need to wear bibs not just three...

In the first instance I have no idea how one team doesn't have enough kit to go around??

Cup final yesterday turned up to find the keeper in a completely black kit. He ended up playing with a bib on, but was the only option. Needless to say the league officials from the league the cup was part of were not impressed!

Was it really the only option???

Was it really the only option???

He'd left his other kit at home. They had jackets, but they matched the outfield kit. The other option was one of the coaches had an arsenal shirt on and that was the other possibility. A league game I'd have let the black kit go and just had a word with the league to let them know. But being a final they want everything to be by the book.

We tried that one and still was completely black. It was a pretty strange situation!

I agree, had it been a league game I'd agree. As it was a cup final the league officials are the ones that stepped in.

Back