A&H

Open Age Best ever red card!

DB

Referee, Observer, Mentor, Player
Level 5 Referee
Okay, it's been a while since I created a post... I often just sit and view the forum these days, occasionally putting my thoughts across.

I wanted to share this incident today because I often hear so much about players gobbling off after receiving a red card, it's often good to hear something positive. It's also the first ever time I've played advantage from a red card offence!

I'll set the scene. Orange (home), red (away). Orange team leading 5-0. Their striker, although easily in his late forties is quick, powerful and has a hatrick to his name.

The game itself has been easy. One caution for a foul tackle previously. All I'd really done before this incident is blow up for a few fouls (including a potential knee ligament injury - nasty) and I'd spoken to two away players who'd decided to have a big go at each other. Pulled them in, let them calm down and sent them on the way. No harm done. Anyway, very easy game.

75th minute, an orange break from the halfway line. Reds caught sleeping. Red centre back slides in about 30-35 yards from goal, just inside his half, studs showing and both feet off the ground. Makes contact with player. In my head, straight away I thought "definite red". Nearest CB to him was 10-15 yards away so potential DOGSO situation aswell. Anyway, I bring my whistle to my mouth in an instant, but as usual I add a slight delay, it was one of those where you could predict it before it happens, I knew that tackle was coming. I allow a delay in my whistle... Ball ricochets off the defender and bounces behind him... Bang, an attack is on straight away. I quickly look over my shoulder and see the player who just got tackled stand up, although in a bit of discomfort. "Advantageeeeeee". The trusty veteran striker sprints towards the goal, rounds the keeper and slots the ball in the net for his fourth. I immediately blow for the goal. I then get the defender to approach me. He says "I'm sorry ref, it was a bad one". "Yes player, it wasn't great". I show the player the red card, he shakes my hand, apologises then walks over to the attacker and does the same. The attacker was fine, just a little sore. There was no anger from any of the teams, a guy has just been two footed, usually that can cause uproar.

Instead, I send the player off, he apologises and I get cheered by the 30-40 people watching "fantastic refereeing", "well done, ref" I hear.

I'm usually of the opinion that a red card like that would stop play instantly. But I was so happy with the way it was dealt with, I always like to add a small delay to my whistle, particularly in those sort of moments just to evaluate what has just happened. The striker was in good form and more than capable of travelling 30 odd yards to slot home. I've never played on from a red card challenge before so it was good to get that "experience" in to see how I'd manage it.

Crowd happy, both teams happy (yes, despite the red card) and a happy "observer". Very rare occurance tonight. Both teams and both sets of supporters (despite home team reputation as being rather hostile) were good as gold. A few key incidents but an extremely easy game to referee. Both teams just wanted to play football. That was it. Very rare these days. Best ever red card - purely for how well it was received and the fact the home team gained a perfect advantage from the very, very rare occasion that a referee would continue play.

Satisfying game - Final score was 7-0.

Last edited:
The Referee Store
That's exactly my point. It's the easiest card I've ever given! Horrible challenge which could have done some damage. I think he just wanted to get off the field, being 5-0 down at the time.

Well done @DB - this was your career defining decision!

Everything perfect - retire while you at the top of your game :cool:
Then boast about the time you had a "perfect advantage", bore referees at RA meetings for the next 20 years.

A lad called Tom jones was sent off in my league a few years ago for giving a false name, (2 x YC)... problem was, it was his real name.. Ref must of thought he was a Boy from Nowhere on The Green Grass of Home... ;(

If I ever get a dodgy sounding one I tell them that I can write anything they want In my book but thats the name thats going to the FA, and if the deem that Mickey Mouse isn't registered then they can do with it as they wish!! Normally works in sharpening their minds..

Back