A&H

Benteke Goal Yesterday

You're looking at the the premier league as a referee not as a fan in an entertaining fast game that has got the world paying Billions to watch it.

The referees still have to apply law correctly. Which they do. They just manage more and use their opinion.

They haven't turned their back on us, when offering us advice they would never dream of saying take what I do onto your game because it wouldn't work.

It also has fans complaining every week about the inconsistency and unfairness of refereeing :)

The fact that Premier League referees are Promoters more than Referees allows a lot of clearly unfair play to go on, simply because it's just easier not to call it.

Mark Clattenburg gave an interview, where he stated that even DOGSO red cards won't be given too early in the match, because entertainment.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/footbal...l-whistle-blower/story-e6frf4a3-1227452863236

There's nothing intrinsic about the top game that requires this approach, or that requires condining ludicrous amounts of abuse and support, or handbags at 10 paces constantly, or mobbing the referee if he so much as makes his tea differently. It's just that the authorities choose to allow it. If none of that was tolerated the players and spectators would accept it. If the LOTG was applied, the players and spectators would accept it. It's just because it's not, so the expectation is that it's not. Referees become both a symptom and a cause of the problem.

And of course, that applies to lower levels as well.

The Referee Store
Not getting you on this one Capt ?

Granted there are times when a high boot is dangerous but on this occasion I don't think it was ....the ball had already left his boot before the Man U Defender even gave it a thought ......

Also on the first player to react side of things I very much think that is how referees look at most one on one situations ...?

first to make a play is action then you have a reaction from the other player ! otherwise it is very difficult to say who has fouled who ?

Again..... only my opinion

I'm not forcing it on anyone :)

Mark Clattenburg gave an interview, where he stated that even DOGSO red cards won't be given too early in the match, because entertainment.
Aha I remember one of the above very well

Man U v Villa

Phil Dowd .....in the 3rrd minute ish ?? of the league cup final a few years ago when Vidic dragged Agbonlahor to the ground 7 or 8 yards out and he gave a yellow and the penalty ....it was a stick on Red Card .

Last edited by a moderator:
Not getting you on this one Capt ?

Granted there are times when a high boot is dangerous but on this occasion I don't think it was ....the ball had already left his boot before the Man U Defender even gave it a thought ......

Also on the first player to react side of things I very much think that is how referees look at most one on one situations ...?

first to make a play is action then you have a reaction from the other player ! otherwise it is very difficult to say who has fouled who ?

Again..... only my opinion

I'm not forcing it on anyone :)

Aha I remember one of the above very well

Man U v Villa

Phil Dowd .....in the 3rrd minute ish ?? of the league cup final a few years ago when Vidic dragged Agbonlahor to the ground 7 or 8 yards out and he gave a yellow and the penalty ....it was a stick on Red Card .

As for the ball having left his boot before the defender thought about challenging, that's clearly incorrect, check the video again. That's not even subjective

As for the 'first to make the play' part, you're forgetting that players have a responsibility to ensure they play in a manner that doesn't prevent others from safely challenging the ball. If 'first to play' was as important as you say, then the ol' raised knee by the keeper wouldn't be a problem as all he's doing is claiming his spot.
Some areas - I believe the UK used to, perhaps even the US - teach that PIADM hasn't occurred unless the opposing player has clearly been prevented from playing the ball (ie pulls away from the challenge). That's pretty much the polar opposite, where you seem to be arguing that a player can play the ball in any wild manner he likes, as long as he's the first to initiate the play. That's negating the intent of the PIADM law.

Don't think I explained that point too well mate ?

I regularly pull players for dangerous play when they swing a boot in the PA as they don't have the brains to header it ...still think Benteke had the time and space on this occasion to execute the move ....if he done a more" side on "kick ...with his boot swinging towards goal (hard to explain) then it would be a different matter

Don't think I explained that point too well mate ?

I regularly pull players for dangerous play when they swing a boot in the PA as they don't have the brains to header it ...still think Benteke had the time and space on this occasion to execute the move ....if he done a more" side on "kick ...with his boot swinging towards goal (hard to explain) then it would be a different matter

Ok fair enough, but what about the defender who clearly pulled back from the challenge when he saw what was happening?

Jacko, I'm going out on a limb here but I think anyone with the character and intelligence to referee can probably spot the fairly glaring differences between pro football and park football. :rolleyes:

The reason folk have an issue with how the Premier League is refereed is that those 10 games each weekend have an enormous knock on impact on the literally thousands of games going on up and down the country .. it makes the life of any referee wishing to properly implement the LOTG 10x harder and leads to much frustration from the players when they end up penalised for offences they see their role models get away with. I think we all understand why the Premier League might wish to manage things this way ... that doesn't mean we have to like it or just take it uncomplainingly ....

And my opinion (which I'm not trying to persuade anyone else to adopt or endorse!) is that Benteke was PIADM and not penalising him will encourage other strikers to put the safety of defenders at risk in future

Alright, but Christian Benteke has more skill and, presumably, more control over his body than Tom of the Sunday League. So what's dangerous and careless from Tom is safe and careful for Benteke.

He was never getting near it Capt think he was quite happy to let Benteke have a go to be honest , weighing up the percentages ?

Back