george.g

Level 5 Referee
Match #12
Belgium v Canada
Wednesday, 23 November 2022
22:00 local time (19:00 GMT)
Ar-Rayyan

Referee: Janny Sikazwe (ZAM)

Assistant Referee 1: Jerson Emiliano Dos Santos (ANG)
Assistant Referee 2: Arsénio Marengula (MOZ)
Fourth Official: Yoshimi Yamashita (JPN)
Reserve Assistant Referee: Neuza Back (BRA)
Video Assistant Referee: Juan Soto (VEN)
Assistant Video Assistant Referee: Nicolas Gallo (COL)
Offside Video Assistant Referee: Mokrane Gourari (ALG)
Support Video Assistant Referee: Massimiliano Irrati (ITA)
Standby Assistant Video Assistant Referee: Abdelhak Etchiali (ALG)

Interesting to see a massive mix of nationalities here.

Last edited:
The Referee Store
Nailed on penalty for me, clear movement of arm in an upwards motion towards the ball.

Davies miss didn't do my WC fantasy team any good though! :wall:

VAR penalty for handball obviously correct, but looked to me like they should have had another one shortly afterwards - clearly not offside so surely they should be checking the penalty?!

Absolutely. Poor call by the AR - a clear pass from the Belgian so not offised. REf should have overuled and VAR should have reviewed the challenge (should have done anyway as the offside call was clearly wrong and the trip was on the legitimate player. Clearly bottled so soon after the first good call PK. I thought that's why they had so many VARs? Disappointing ...

I don’t see any way that would be a C&O error that VAR could get involved for a PK. (and that is, IMO, a flag the R should not have accepted—he shares the blame.)

Nailed on penalty for me, clear movement of arm in an upwards motion towards the ball.

Davies miss didn't do my WC fantasy team any good though! :wall:
Totally agree, arm's position wasn't justifiable imo, and was unnatural. Good spot by VAR, and right call

Absolutely. Poor call by the AR - a clear pass from the Belgian so not offised. REf should have overuled and VAR should have reviewed the challenge (should have done anyway as the offside call was clearly wrong and the trip was on the legitimate player. Clearly bottled so soon after the first good call PK. I thought that's why they had so many VARs? Disappointing ...
The VAR presumably did check for a PK- that’s what the protocol calls for. But i don’t think it was close to the clarity of a foul that a VaR is expected to send down as a C&O error.

A World Cup AR should be able to spot the defender playing the ball, and a World Cup referee in that position HAS to be able to spot the defender's deliberate play and wave that flag down.

That's a really, really bad miss. A crew being mentored/assessed in a decent youth game would be harshly rebuked for missing that one. A World Cup crew may see their journey end after a single game for a miss like that.

The VAR presumably did check for a PK- that’s what the protocol calls for. But i don’t think it was close to the clarity of a foul that a VaR is expected to send down as a C&O error.
Surely the C&O error is the mind of the Ref that the Canadian player was offside so the interaction /trip not even given thought. Well within VAR to say "not offside, now look at the interaction with that in mind"

Surely the C&O error is the mind of the Ref that the Canadian player was offside so the interaction /trip not even given thought. Well within VAR to say "not offside, now look at the interaction with that in mind"
They have to think it’s clear and obvious to not give the penalty even if the ref didn’t see it. It’s not. They can’t advise a rewatch just in case.

Would be different if the R told the VAR that he had a PK, but the OS came first so it wasn’t given.

but in any event, I don’t think that is an expected PK, with or without VAR.

38 minutes another PK... Maybe VAR with assist the poor on field team...

Incredible! Canada have been excellent so far, except for where they need it the most with the final ball/finish letting them down, just like many of the games so far...

No shortage of incident - 1 penalty given after VAR review, the push/knee could easily have been given as well. Not convinced about the backpass one, thought defender got the ball.

Back