A&H

BEL vs CAN Matchday 4 - Sikazwe (ZAM)

The Referee Store
I am baffled how Janny Sikazwe makes the WC as an elite match official?

Janny Sikazwe, the referee at the centre of AFCON chaos with Mali and Tunisia after blowing for full-time five minutes early, was suspended amid corruption allegations in 2018​

• Janny Sikazwe blew for full-time in the 85th minute of Mali vs Tunisia
  • The game was restarted and Sikazwe rejected a VAR review of a red card
  • In Nov 2018, Sikazwe was suspended for allegations of corruption in a match
  • Two months later in January 2019, FIFA lifted the suspension against him

Janny Sikazwe, the referee at the centre of AFCON chaos with Mali and Tunisia after blowing for full-time five minutes early, was suspended amid corruption allegations in 2018​

#quotas

I'm guessing FIFA forgave his error.
As for the "corruption" - it was allegations - not actual proven corruption. 😎

I'm guessing FIFA forgave his error.
As for the "corruption" - it was allegations - not actual proven corruption. 😎

He was legitimately hospitalized for heat stroke after that game. I'm glad it didn't end his international career.

Reactions: Kes
You’re a bit more forgiving, you blow full-time whistle after 85 minutes, then are well enough to restart the game & referee for another 4 minutes, 40 seconds, whilst your 4th official is about to put up the agreed added time. Presumably, the 4th official wasn’t suffering from heat stroke to have taken over from the referee much earlier in the second half?

You’re a bit more forgiving, you blow full-time whistle after 85 minutes, then are well enough to restart the game & referee for another 4 minutes, 40 seconds, whilst your 4th official is about to put up the agreed added time. Presumably, the 4th official wasn’t suffering from heat stroke to have taken over from the referee much earlier in the second half?
Heat stroke is not something one necessarily realizes one is suffering from. it impairs the thought process.

Just watched the highlights and I think Canada should have had quite a few penalty kicks in that match. Ironically, I don't think the penalty kick which was awarded should have been - arm position seemed natural enough to me but I can understand why it was given.

Well within VAR to say "not offside, now look at the interaction with that in mind"
Actually it's not within the remit of VAR. There is no provision in the protocol for doing what you suggest. Maybe there should be, but that's a different discussion.

Actually it's not within the remit of VAR. There is no provision in the protocol for doing what you suggest. Maybe there should be, but that's a different discussion.
But it is within the remit of VAR to check a possible penalty kick, during that process reversing the incorrect offside and awarding a PK, providing foul occurs before whistle blown.

Are we not delaying the flag at this WC

But it is within the remit of VAR to check a possible penalty kick, during that process reversing the incorrect offside and awarding a PK, providing foul occurs before whistle blown.

Are we not delaying the flag at this WC
Well, last night many of the ARs flagged traditionally. I liked it but it’s a dilemma for the organizers. Seems like the officials at the WC are not working to the same guidelines. Stark differences between Europe/Americas and RoW. Obvs falls between VAR and non VAR leagues but still odd.

Back