A&H

BBC News article on Ref abuse

The Referee Store
So, the BBC have realised that there is a referee shortage / abuse problem.....

How can they help?
1. Make all their pundits take the referee course, so they can be correct in their analysis and terminology?
2. Have a ex referee on the MOTD panel and at live games to explain the decisions - see the NFL and the use of rules analysts as an aid
3. Start asking the managers, when they start about the referees / VAR mistakes, questioning the open goal, penalty missed and defenvice mistake really cost them the game.
4. Stop talking about passion and start talking about bullying / intimidation when managers and players confront the officials.

Well that would be a start!

This report highlights an issue which is society's problem - one of our own making. Unpunished abuse is so endemic within the game now nobody blinks when it happens. Players tell refs to 'F off' and berate them for whatever they fancy and they stay on the pitch; I watched Tarkowski doing it last night in the Merseyside derby and the game just carried on. The same thing then happens at grassroots and everyone is surprised when a ref sends off a player for this, stirring up more abuse from parents/players/coaches. Then, and this happened to me last week, the coach asks you if you're putting those cards through - after his side were issued with four varieties of caution. Damn right I am.
One thing we could do to begin shifting the view that this attitude is all fine, is remove Danny Murphy from MOTD. His one-eyed views that the players are invariably right and the refs invariably wrong winds me right up.

One thing we could do to begin shifting the view that this attitude is all fine, is remove Danny Murphy from MOTD. His one-eyed views that the players are invariably right and the refs invariably wrong winds me right up.
Get Danny Murphy to referee a Step 6 level match.....That will show him to stop thinking players are always right.

I fear that there is a more-global issue of players and younger people becoming entitled with the view that if something doesn’t go their way, or they disagree with an opinion they have a right and should argue it.

That is what I have noticed, especially post pandemic.

Albeit; this is my own opinion!

I'd like to be proven wrong, but just more of the same hot air we're familiar with
No real appreciation of the behaviour in the Pro game in Ambler's Q&A (references passion blah blah)
Sin Bins, bodycams & respect campaign rebranded 'enough is enough'......
It is what it is

So, the BBC have realised that there is a referee shortage / abuse problem.....

How can they help?
1. Make all their pundits take the referee course, so they can be correct in their analysis and terminology?
2. Have a ex referee on the MOTD panel and at live games to explain the decisions - see the NFL and the use of rules analysts as an aid
3. Start asking the managers, when they start about the referees / VAR mistakes, questioning the open goal, penalty missed and defenvice mistake really cost them the game.
4. Stop talking about passion and start talking about bullying / intimidation when managers and players confront the officials.

Well that would be a start!
Been saying 1 & 2 for years, but really like suggestions 3 & 4!! 👍 It's the example that players see on TV that determines a lot of the behaviour at grass roots level (even if the skill levels don't exactly match)

This report highlights an issue which is society's problem - one of our own making. Unpunished abuse is so endemic within the game now nobody blinks when it happens. Players tell refs to 'F off' and berate them for whatever they fancy and they stay on the pitch; I watched Tarkowski doing it last night in the Merseyside derby and the game just carried on. The same thing then happens at grassroots and everyone is surprised when a ref sends off a player for this, stirring up more abuse from parents/players/coaches. Then, and this happened to me last week, the coach asks you if you're putting those cards through - after his side were issued with four varieties of caution. Damn right I am.
Totally agree - some of these so-called 'experts' on TV have no more idea of the LOTG than the average 2 year old! Should be a pre-requisite that anyone offering opinions on TV have passed the course and refereed a game themselves! I know, fat chance! 🙄

Alexi Lalas, former US WC player and current announcer, did go out and take a ref course and ref games. A lot of people don't like him a lot as an announcer, but gotta respect that he went out and did that.

and to add to this, when they’ve got one, don’t argue with them like they do on BT. When you’re told something is correct in law, debate the law, don’t just argue with the person telling you it

Back