A&H

Ball Out of Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pedro

At 55 years old, I have played for over 40 years at least once a week at school, work, pub, vets and now old-mates-7-a-side-astroturf-on-a-monday-night leagues.
NEVER, except Pierluigi Collina, have I EVER seen the correct rule on ball out of play being exercised. Just as a reminder, the rule is, amongst others....

The ball is out of play when:
  • it has wholly passed over the goal line or touchline on the ground or in the air...
...the list goes on.

My question is:
Why the hell doesn't any ref at any level from old-mates-7-a-side-astroturf-on-a-monday-night, to FIFA World leagues (except for Pierluigi) allow the ball to go wholly over a touchline (like in tennis) before a throw-in is awarded?

A&H International
A throw in is never awarded unless the whole of the ball leaves the field of play.

I guess you might be referring to either

A) the ball is clearly going to go out so directional signal may be given by the referee before, this is on a working assumption that the ball will clearly leave the field of play. In cases where there is a chance it may remain on field of play this never happens.

B) referees and ARs give discreet signal to communicate and agree a direction between them. This again is not that awarding of the throw in.

You are going to need to maybe find some examples and share them as I really haven't seen anything to substantiate your post on 13 years of refereeing and in 30 or so years watching the game

hmmm. Perhaps a linesman needs to answer this as a pitch ref is almost never in a position to accurately gauge this decision?

We're all dual role until level 3 in England. So I'm talking both sides of the coin. Think, from your posts, I can make a reasonable assumption that you aren't a referee and so can accept that perhaps you won't know about the finer nuances of awarding a throw in.
hmmm. Perhaps a linesman needs to answer this as a pitch ref is almost never in a position to accurately gauge this decision?

See the tennis ball analogy attached. Imagine if the ball is further over to the left but still has no daylight (as viewed from a position directly above), between right edge of the ball and left edge of the line, in tennis, the ball is still in play, but in football, hardly EVER.

Attachments

• 2024-06-28 - 12.42.00.jpg
    2024-06-28 - 12.42.00.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 4
Just about every referee or AR (AKA linesman) knows about the phrase "all of the ball over all of the line" in the context of the throw-in law (AKA rule).

As James said, we are all qualified to act in both roles. We all know the rules on ball out of play. We all apply them. I think that's all that can really be said here to be honest. By saying it isn't applied, you have essentially accused all officials of deliberately cheating. I can assure you 99.99% of officials will not cheat.

We're all dual role until level 3 in England. So I'm talking both sides of the coin. Think, from your posts, I can make a reasonable assumption that you aren't a referee and so can accept that perhaps you won't know about the finer nuances of awarding a throw in.
Nope. I'm not a ref but simply emptying my years of frustration at never seeing it ruled correctly. If VAR was involved more for throw-ins, and hence, causing play to slow down more often because of it, perhaps we'd see a change in views? Put more simply, why don't linesmen allow daylight to be seen between edge of ball and line before snapping their flag in the air on the shouts of the crowd?

Just about every referee or AR (AKA linesman) knows about the phrase "all of the ball over all of the line" in the context of the throw-in law (AKA rule).
I'm not in any way questioning a ref's superior knowledge of the finer details of the rules. It's just that it hardly ever seems to be implemented correctly even though they know.

I'm talking touchline/throw-in only. We've all seen the way footballers have recently discovered where they can get away with placing the ball for a corner...

why don't linesmen allow daylight to be seen between edge of ball and line
Because the rules don't say daylight. They simply say when the ball has fully crossed the line. We as officials know how to apply this law correctly and do apply this law correctly very regularly.

I'm talking touchline/throw-in only. We've all seen the way footballers have recently discovered where they can get away with placing the ball for a corner...
Yes but that is literally allowed for corners. It overhangs the line so is technically on the line. The same principle applies with throw-ins.

See the tennis ball analogy attached. Imagine if the ball is further over to the left but still has no daylight (as viewed from a position directly above), between right edge of the ball and left edge of the line, in tennis, the ball is still in play, but in football, hardly EVER.
I am not sure if your statement is correct, for tennis or for football. In below image, to the right is in field, to the left is out of field. Viewing from above there is no daylight between ball and line. In football it is in play, in tennis it is out of play.

1719577698773.png

Because the rules don't say daylight. They simply say when the ball has fully crossed the line. We as officials know how to apply this law correctly and do app

Because the rules don't say daylight. They simply say when the ball has fully crossed the line. We as officials know how to apply this law correctly and do apply this law correctly very regularly.
But being clinical, daylight, or 'a gap' is exactly what you'd see between ball and line if you were to view it from a position directly above the ball.
Ok, watch the next game of football closely. Watch how many times a throw-in is awarded at times we can CLEARLY see there is absolutely zero gap between ball and line - as in the 'overhang' you describe in the 'corner' analogy. That's all. You usually get a couple of examples from a good camera angle. I work in a TV camera department btw. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back