A&H

Ball in/out

JH

RefChat Addict
I have been told 2 contradicting things to do if you are completely unsure of who's ball it is when it goes out.

Some say delay, wait for the players to sort it. This works a lot of the time, the attacker will go and get the ball and the defenders will be running into the PA. But when it doesn't you're in a sticky situation.

Some say immediately give it defensive, the safe option. The only thing with this is, the players might have given it away anyway and you won't know, but it looks more convincing to give it immediately.

Thoughts?

The Referee Store
Overall, I'd say take in all available information before making a decision
First, go with the NAR, unless they've clearly dropped a clanger. Apply the same principal to CARs with more latitude to overrule them
Second, go with whatever 'football expects' i.e. the players mutually decide harmoniously
Third, go with your inclination
Fourth, go with defence if you have no clue
I'd say no more than a couple of seconds to evaluate these queues. All of this, whilst looking and sounding like there's no doubt in the matter!

For me, the slight delay is my first possible solution
Then, hopefully I go defensive,
I might, give it to team who are a> getting gubbed, or b> if teams been getting on my back a bit then here, have a throw in.
With any of them tho, I like to think I would be open enough to shrug shoulders slightly and if needed, say respectfully to anyone who questions it, "sorry guys, I really could not tell".
Better that than insisting its def blue when you have no idea
I hope I can shake off an unknown throw and focus on the big calls.

There is no "right" answer to the original question. The Laws say the TI goes to the team that didn't touch it last--they presume factual knowledge, so the laws can't answer this question, it's all about opinions.

There are good opinions above. It is sometimes immediately clear that the players agree what happened, so just go with it--no reason to pick a fight. Sometimes physics gives a clue based on directly of ball--I'll go with that clue if I'm not sure, as I figure its better than 50-50. When all else fails and I flat out don't know, I'll give it to the defense. Most of the games I do put teams on opposite touchlines. At midfield, if I really can't tell and have no clues, I'll go with that team (who are inevitably convinced it is theirs)--contrary to the views of the moms and dads as to how important that call is, a TI at midfield is very rarely a call that makes much difference.

When I qualified, I was taught to go defensive. The problem with that is that if you're the only person on the pitch who thinks it is defensive, you can lose a lot of your match control with both sides, all over a nothing decision.

Nowadays, I prefer to at least try the delayed approach. It's fairly easy to give it a second or two, react with a defensive throw if both teams go for it, and if anyone spots the delay and kicks up a fuss, just respond with "It was so obvious that I didn't think I needed to signal!"

Over time you'll learn to pick up on when you can delay a little, and when you have to make some sort of instance decision. You'll learn to instantly spot if one team is going to move for the ball and the other is standing back. It's easiest to go with that when you can - the prob with just going defensive is that you'll cause arguments doing that. If you have no idea, and all the players think it's an attacking throw, why would you argue with that?

Of course, sometimes one team will go for the ball and the other player is standing on the touch line thinking the opponent is getting him the ball and the argument comes later! Can't win them all.

Use all the information you ave but once size does not fit all here. Sometimes you go safe. Sometime you go with the balance of probabilities. Sometimes you make a quick decision. Sometimes you wait to see what decision is more credible. Experience and common sense helps you with which to pick.

Back