A&H

Ball boy stitched me up

BES

Had a game on Saturday with the luxury of ball boys.

Goal kick awarded with no issues and all players run up field to gain position. The ball boy rolls the ball to me as the assistant monitoring the goal kick. Clearly should have gone to the gk. As it was right next to me I kicked the ball towards the keeper who gave me a thumbs up, acknowledging the gesture.

Post match got a bashing from the assessor saying I am not meant to touch the ball and should have ignored it.

I am aware I'm not meant to touch the ball but geeez everyone had vanished up field and it was at my feet. Would have got verbals for being a jobs worth had I not surely.

Feel slightly hard done by here.

The Referee Store
Skool boy error, never kick the ball , if u do have to give it to a player pick it up and under arm throw it , I.e roll it back to the player,

Does this extend to pre-match warm up's as well? If I'm jogging round the pitch and a ball comes loose towards me, I've always kicked it back to them, adjusting my jog slightly if necessary.

Instinctively, your assessors comments sound a touch harsh. I've moved the ball around with my feet to indicate where I expect a FK to be taken from, and made short passes for the same reason as well - and I'm sure I've seen this kind of thing on TV too. I'd never trust myself to try and hit a long pass (for the reasons Brian mentions), but rolling the ball along the ground in the right direction with your feet is a different matter.

Literally don't touch the ball, I've been an assistant at Supply League and ball is literally a foot away, I'm leaving it as you know assessor will pick up on it. An AR the other day who I was with got a development point as at half time the ball was left in the goal area, I ran to the referee, the other AR on request of the referee got the ball and then went to the referee, assessor marked him down for it

Literally don't touch the ball, I've been an assistant at Supply League and ball is literally a foot away, I'm leaving it as you know assessor will pick up on it. An AR the other day who I was with got a development point as at half time the ball was left in the goal area, I ran to the referee, the other AR on request of the referee got the ball and then went to the referee, assessor marked him down for it
Why? He complied with the referee's instruction and the referee wasn't left alone

@p4yno You don't feel that helping teams out when a ball goes loose pre-match helps build rapport? And that placing the ball where you want the FK to be taken from generates easier match control and is less petty than making a player come to you, collect the ball and move it where you say?

I've only been assessed a handful of times and this has never come up, but I can't imagine how bemused I would have been if I'd been criticised for this directly post-match. Sometimes I really don't understand how the "correct" way of doing things can come about.

He wasn't pleased about it, and assessor said at the end of the first half he went to the end of the ground to pick up the second match ball, the assessor stated that he felt he should move to the referees side to support the referee, the referee asked him to go and pick this ball up, the referee agreed it happened this was and didn't stitch him up. The assessor felt should have been a trio asap, possibly as away manager was having a rant about a trivial matter...

Assessor was wrong. I'd be appealing that (dependant on how many marks it was worth).

As mentioned, never touch the ball during the game. Warm-up's, absolutely fine. There's FL referees who actually use a ball as part of their pre-games (trains the eyes to see the ball etc).

I remember a few years ago, I was either a 7 or 6, doing a game. I wasn't being assessed, fortunately, and we needed a replacement ball. It got kicked towards me from one sideline, I was in the centre circle, and I controlled it with 1 touch and then 2nd touch pinged it 50 yards straight to the thrower before following into correct position. Comments & compliments galore (match control SERIOUSLY aided!) and I swore that day that I'd never do it again as it couldn't get any better!!

@p4yno You don't feel that helping teams out when a ball goes loose pre-match helps build rapport? And that placing the ball where you want the FK to be taken from generates easier match control and is less petty than making a player come to you, collect the ball and move it where you say?

I've only been assessed a handful of times and this has never come up, but I can't imagine how bemused I would have been if I'd been criticised for this directly post-match. Sometimes I really don't understand how the "correct" way of doing things can come about.

I find that I have more control saying to the player where I want it placed, I'm not going to place a ball for them. I would like to think I'm nowhere near the ball for it to be played back, I'd hope I would have a player in close proximity to me. I've been assessed a few times, inexperienced AR have been criticised for acting as a ball boy.

Assessor was wrong. I'd be appealing that (dependant on how many marks it was worth).

As mentioned, never touch the ball during the game. Warm-up's, absolutely fine. There's FL referees who actually use a ball as part of their pre-games (trains the eyes to see the ball etc).

I remember a few years ago, I was either a 7 or 6, doing a game. I wasn't being assessed, fortunately, and we needed a replacement ball. It got kicked towards me from one sideline, I was in the centre circle, and I controlled it with 1 touch and then 2nd touch pinged it 50 yards straight to the thrower before following into correct position. Comments & compliments galore (match control SERIOUSLY aided!) and I swore that day that I'd never do it again as it couldn't get any better!!

This happened the other week, wasn't assessed however needed another match ball, it was hoofed in the air heading straight towards me. I hear shouts of "how's your touch ref" I literally controlled the ball like Neymar and killed it dead before a side footed pass to corner kick taker. I hear shouts of "put a white shirt on please" I was loving life for a split second

I think it's a different matter when you're the AR, as it would seem to be very difficult to naturally control/pass the ball and give a clear signal at the same time.

But when you're the referee, you're going to be on top of the play a lot of the time and on rare occasions, the feet are going to be the best way to adjust the ball's position. I'm not saying a referee should try and show off the touch of Messi or demonstrate a 50 yard passing range, but nudging the ball 5 yards has to occasionally be easier than trying to convince a player to precisely adjust his position.

I do think there's the right balance to be had. As an AR if the ball is right next to you and there's not a player within 20 yards and you're refusing to pass it to them then you're going to be in for some real stick and everybody is going to be on your back.

Ball boy didn't stitch you up at all.....you stitched yourself up!

Just leave the ball.....the ball boy could've come and got it.....after all he rolled it there.

Whether you're an AR or in the middle you're there to officiate not play football.....leave the ball alone!
If the player won't put the ball in the correct position for a FK despite your efforts instead of using your foot to move it, use your cards to motivate the players to listen to you!

my personal favourite is being in the centre circle with the match ball giving the teams another couple of minutes to get ready, cue a mini kick up comp. in my head lol do get a few comments from the players!

but during play, I don't really touch the ball

If you touch the ball as an AR, you'll open yourself up to accusations of favouring one team over the other - perhaps allowing them to turn a throw-in around a lot faster than they otherwise might have been able to... and you really don't want to encourage the C word being shouted at you. Even as a CAR I leave the ball well alone.

I found a way to remove the temptation of touching the ball as a ref or AR. I always thank a player (fan or passer by) when they retrieve the ball from distance, or from next to me. This assuages any guilt and avoids suggestions of arrogance. It seems to work.

I once had a game where one team only had 8 players. Someone pinged the spare ball 50 yards to me and I had the best touch of my life. Rest of the game the only complaint I got was that I wasn't playing for the team with 8 men

Skool boy error, never kick the ball , if u do have to give it to a player pick it up and under arm throw it , I.e roll it back to the player,
I used this advice at the weekend!

Running the line and a heavy tackle goes in on the far side. Ball flies off the side boards and rolls right across the pitch to me. Everyone's standing still as the player involved in the tackle is down injured and needs treatment. Had the benches behind me egging me on to kick the ball across the pitch, but managed to get a decent laugh by running up, shaping to kick it and then bending down and rolling it at the last second.

In bad light (ahem) last week, went to control a ball passed to me annnnnnddddddd it went straight under my foot. :)

I did something similar tonight. Ball was passed to me at half time and I went to control it, suffice to say it didn't go well and I ended up chasing it across the pitch. My first touch isn't what it used to be!

In my defence, it took a massive bobble! :hmmm:

Reactions: SM
Back