A&H

Backpass clarification

Hi,

I was looking for clarification on an incident on a game today. The red defender passed the ball back to the keeper. As he passes it the ball slightly deflects off an opponent but still goes through to the keeper, who picks it up. Is this still a 'deliberate' back pass?

The Referee Store
I would say yes. The ball was passed back deliberately. I accept that there was a little deflection but the act was still a deliberate one and it, presumably, achieved the aim.

No. If the last touch before the goalkeeper picks it up is off an opponent, it cannot be deemed a deliberate kick to him by a team mate.

Reactions: SM
What about where a red defender passes to another red defender, and the latter misses it/leaves it/pass is misplaced and ball ends up with the keeper (i.e. it is a deliberate pass, it is not a deliberate pass to the keeper). Is that an IDF?

I agree that a back pass that is deflected by an opponent wouldn't be an infringement, but the question from Southend-ref seems to have a couple of different parts. Leaving the ball would be a back pass but surely missing it wouldn't be as it is not a deliberate act i.e. he goes to play it but falls and the keeper picks it up?

But does he fall?? I think i'd go for the backpass as well, players are always trying to think up of ways to circumvent (is that the right word!!) LOTG.
Sorry but for me, i'd be giving an IDF and strong words of advice whilst explaining my reasons.
Suppose the tricky part is trying to work out if he genuinely missed it or not, what ever you give on this scenario your on to an ear bashing from one team!!

'Backpass' doesn't really exist in all fairness, it's an any direction pass to the goal keeper by a team mate with anything below the knee, including a throw in. The player who kneels to nudge it or worse still lay down and head it to circumvent the law is already catered for in L13

One to watch for is the player who's in control of a stationary ball at his feet, bellowing out instructions to his players - well away from all opponents who've retreated - who then simply walks away from the ball leaving it for the gk to perhaps dribble back into his area (if not already in there) and promptly pick it up

Ths action could catch the unwary referee out!

Q) Is he 'passing' to the gk by walking away from the ball.......or, having last controlled the ball then walked away from it (with the intention of allowing the gk to pick it up) attempted to circumvent the law whether the gk picks it up or not?

Without the good book to hand, I think: the ball has to be kicked intentionally to the GK.

If it is kicked to defender who stops it, then walks away. Who was the ball kicked to?

I would agree that it is a circumvention of the Law, but there is an argument that this is only if used as a time-wasting tactic.

I heard of a team once, when GK had ball in hand, held it for 6 secs. Tossed it to a defender who headed it back to him, held it for 6 secs, tossed it to the defender again who chested back to him and held it for 6 secs.

Back