A&H

Awareness and alertness

The Referee Store
Yeah they missed the double touch. But it's a really odd situation. With a fk there you usually focus on everyone except the kick taker!

Worrying that it took VAR to spot this, but I guess it's these kind of incidents that it was brought in for

This is exactly the problem, even the commentators or the tv crew don't know whats going on, needs to be made clearer in the moment

I think the referee did spot it. If you watch the referee he is clearly speaking to the player whilst the move plays out. I think he might be giving him the heads up it might be getting a check.

I'm confused here, what was the free kick given for? The referee certainly didn't seem to be indicating indirect free kick as it was taken?

Very unusual situation! It again shows need to improve communication with VAR.

One technical question - what is the remit for VAR intervening in restart decisions? I know they can't intervene on things like foul throws or a moving ball etc.

Very unusual situation! It again shows need to improve communication with VAR.

One technical question - what is the remit for VAR intervening in restart decisions? I know they can't intervene on things like foul throws or a moving ball etc.
It can't, I don't think.

This not strictly being a restart issue as the fk was fine

The question is not about whether he spotted it, it's about the directive given to officials. Are they told in all goal scenarios to delay blowing the whistle until the play is complete so as to avoid an error that cannot be fixed? You can always disallow a bad goal, but you can't award a goal that never happened because you stopped play.

"
  • Delaying the flag/whistle for an offence is only permissible in a very clear attacking situation when a player is about to score a goal or has a clear run into/towards the opponents’ penalty area

"

If they do delay the whistle then presumably they should blow when the attack breaks down.

"
  • Delaying the flag/whistle for an offence is only permissible in a very clear attacking situation when a player is about to score a goal or has a clear run into/towards the opponents’ penalty area

"

If they do delay the whistle then presumably they should blow when the attack breaks down.
And then immediately after the goal is scored to disallow it on field...neither of which happened.

Which I think tells us that the ref didn't spot this himself - what we don't know is if he was helped by another onfield official or by VAR.

Which I think tells us that the ref didn't spot this himself - what we don't know is if he was helped by another onfield official or by VAR.
If he was helped by an on field official, he should have immediately called it, not waited for a VAR Check—waiting would be a blatant breach of VAR protocols. If protocols were followed, there are really two options. First, it was completely caught by the VAR. Second, that the R (or an o field teammate) said something like “hey, I’m not sure, but was it . . . “ which would have raised the question for VAR to be sure it was checked—butnVAR should have been checking anyway and should have caught in the comfort of the review booth without anyone on the field saying anything.

Back