A&H

AVL vs CHE

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Referee Store
I'm assuming the offence is careless push. I feel like this act should be an offence but I can't help but watch the incident and think 'that's quite a careful push'. I'm not sure how the push can be described as careless. Deliberate? Yes. But careless? No.
Gosh. You can't take "careless" as meaning that "careful" is the opposite. How can you carefully head-butt an opponent?

Those who claim it is 100% a foul, I pose the question, why does it not get given when a team is running down the clock with the ball in the corner? In almost all circumstances the attacking player is often pushed off the pitch in an almost identical fashion to what the Chelsea player did yesterday and is never penalised.
When I first started out in the world of refereeing I felt exactly the same. Now though, I don't think it's unusual - in fact I'd even say it's essential - to have a slightly different tolerance for potential match-changing decisions.

Two hands in the back of Gabriel at Newcastle was worse than this. That goal stood.

Inconsistency is the word. This is the single most annoying thing about the premier league.
Totally, totally different, the force involved in this one was much stronger than on Gabriel.

Of course it's a foul. But I bet I can find a dozen examples where VAR didn't get involved this season.
Everyone involved in football aims for consistency. Players aim to pass / tackle / shoot consistently. Coaches aim to set up their teams to deliver good performances each game. Referees aim to achieve consistent decision making. And VARs aim to intervene in an appropriate and consistent way. However they are all human beings so (despite being well paid professionals ... players and coaches especially) they all fail in their attempt. And whilst VARs have the significant benefit of technology, football is inherently subjective, no two decisions are 'the same' and there is pressure to reach all decisions swiftly. Net net, I'd suggest you either a) accept the inconsistency for what it is, b) watch non VAR games or c) my favourite, lobby for the removal of VAR :)

110% foul.
Funny to think had it been allowed, certain forum dwellers that would say it wasn't a foul to preserve the sanctity of the on field decision.

Whilst it is probably a foul, is it a clear and obvious error? Why has Pawson missed it? Would it be given on the half way line? Others have rightly said, we have seen far worse fouls go unpunished this season. Interestingly, there are no real appeals for the foul from Villa players.

Frustratingly, PGMOL and VAR could be percieved as making it up as they go along at the moment, last week the guidance was "Don't get involved unless the referee has made a howler", this week it appears to be "get involved in the minutae of decisions"

Pawson basically gave Villa a "get out of jail free card" last night on their journey to securing CL football. At this point, it seems hard to dispute that referees are favouring the top 6 teams.

Myself and every Man Utd fan in the world would like you to change that to "the top 5 teams".
At least until we fall out of the top 6 next weekend!

MW1 vs Wolves??

Return fixture Pedro dived for a penalty and VAR allowed it.

Look I'm not saying Utd didn't have a season under Ole where we got a penalty every bloody game. But this season I've never seen so many major decisions go against us. Going to happen one day I guess and anyone who says it "evens itself out over a season" is dead wrong.

Look I'm not saying Utd didn't have a season under Ole where we got a penalty every bloody game. But this season I've never seen so many major decisions go against us. Going to happen one day I guess and anyone who says it "evens itself out over a season" is dead wrong.
According to the ESPN article earlier in the thread, Utd are 7th for VAR decisions in favour. So I'd say you've not done too bad out of it.........

This is so, so close to being deleted for a fan post and the "fan nonsense" warning issued. What part of this post has got anything to do with refereeing and / or AVL vs CHE?

This is so, so close to being deleted for a fan post and the "fan nonsense" warning issued. What part of this post has got anything to do with refereeing and / or AVL vs CHE?

I didn't bring the "top 6" decisions up but by all means make your presence known.
I wish you were as sharp on fan comments on other clubs. Strange that.

Well it's not really a random collection of people. It's based on stats for outcomes of VAR decisions.

Using "number of VAR decisions changed in your favour" isn't a very useful measurement.
(I think that's what the above table shows but stand by to be corrected)
Just look at the NOT v EVE game.
The stats would show nothing wrong.

Using "number of VAR decisions changed in your favour" isn't a very useful measurement.
(I think that's what the above table shows but stand by to be corrected)
Just look at the NOT v EVE game.
The stats would show nothing wrong.
They don't show the whole story, no. But they can be used as a barometer.

To hint towards Utd getting no decisions in their favour is laughable. Decisions equal themselves out during the season. Some you win, some you lose.

They don't show the whole story, no. But they can be used as a barometer.

To hint towards Utd getting no decisions in their favour is laughable. Decisions equal themselves out during the season. Some you win, some you lose.
Yawn. It’s a small sample. You can derive nothing from it at all. Indeed, you could equally try to infer that not getting VAR reversals means that there aren’t calls to reverse because Rs are treating the team more favorably and there are more bad calls in their favor that need to be reversed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back