A&H

Australia vs Peru

CapnBloodbeard

RefChat Addict
Big game here.
We cop an early yellow card for a high foot, good call.
They have an early goal. And it looked very, very much like their player was offside. VAR didn't even hold it up to review it....

I mean, it looked DEFINITELY offside. Interesting to see what halftime brings. Can only presume there was something weird with the replay we got.

Last edited:
The Referee Store
But it was offside. Unless they can't review a phase of play immediately preceding the phase in which the goal was scored, they've messed up again. If Ali McCoist was all over it, why wasn't VAR?

Maybe it was too good a goal to disallow! I'll let the VAR experts enlighten us, as I haven't brought myself to read the detail

Somebody on reddit reckons there was a defensive touch. So that would have been enough. Our commentators said there wasn't, have to wait for the half time replay.

There's a bit of a grey area over phase of play, but I think this would all count as the same phase.

We need a better angle to be able to say for sure he was offside. To me it seems very possible that the shoulder of the AUS player is level with the PER foot.

M009Bic.jpg

Then afterwards, there is a defensive touch which is borderline when it comes to interfering with an opponent. So probably not a clear and obvious error...I guess.

I have read the protocol a few times and my understanding is if it was offside it should have been dissallwed . But if VAR have stuffed up, it won't be the first time.

If it has to go to 3D hawkeye I would have thought we'd have seen something. Perhaps that's an area of the fan experience that could be improved upon.
At least I feel like the VAR probably has it covered. I just wish I knew what the deal is

It does look tighter in this freeze frame as opposed to how it looked on the caption on TV
Does the clear & obvious thing come into play for offsides? This is close, but i fancy the technology would have shown it to be off

We need a better angle to be able to say for sure he was offside. To me it seems very possible that the shoulder of the AUS player is level with the PER foot.

M009Bic.jpg

Then afterwards, there is a defensive touch which is borderline when it comes to interfering with an opponent. So probably not a clear and obvious error...I guess.
Ofsside is not factual. Nothing to do with CAOE.

JTxWHqf.jpg

At this moment, the Australian defender deliberately played the ball. The question then becomes did the Peru play interfere with an opponent. In particular, did the Peruvian "challenge the opponent for the ball". That is a judgement decision which falls under the clear and obvious umbrella.

I'd lean towards "yes" that he challenged the opponent, but it's not exactly clear cut.

A clear obvious position, a player who arguably interfered with play and the 'don't flag if it's close' directive is a recipe for disaster. IF the AR is leaving it for the VAR to make the decision, then that's the perfect scenario for it to be a disaster.

Like when we see a lot of referees using the VAR as a crutch, so not making tough calls, but there isn't sufficient footage to overturn the decision so the wrong decision is basically deliberately made by the referee...

JTxWHqf.jpg

At this moment, the Australian defender deliberately played the ball. The question then becomes did the Peru play interfere with an opponent. In particular, did the Peruvian "challenge the opponent for the ball". That is a judgement decision which falls under the clear and obvious umbrella.

I'd lean towards "yes" that he challenged the opponent, but it's not exactly clear cut.
That's where the offside law becomes nonsensical. If the attacker wasn't interfering, why is the defender in such a desperate contorted body shape!? I don't think this second frame is relevant

But in the end, until we actually see something that proves the Peru player was offside, the debate over interfering with an opponent doesn't matter anyway.

Back