A&H

Australia vs England. (Womens friendly.)

Murri O

Thoughts on Sam Kerr's goal this morning. Looked off when the ball was played but then the defender underhit/headed the ball towards her keeper which was then intercepted by Kerr to score. Couple of things. Was Kerr interfering, was the headed ball back a deliberate action thereby negating Kerr's initial offside? Comments from the super refs?

(about the 1 minute mark)

if geo locked

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/cricket/match-highlights-england-vs-matildas/vi-AA19JyDm (about the 40 second mark)

The Referee Store
At the time, it didn't even occur to me this might be an offside offence but on thinking about it some more I wonder if you might be thinking about the scenario in the guidance issued by the PGMOL two years ago after an incident involving Rodri and Mings in an Aston Villa Vs Man City game.

“Where a player in an offside position immediately impacts on an opponent who has deliberately played the ball, the match officials should prioritise challenging an opponent for the ball, and thus the offside offence of ‘interfering with an opponent by impacting on the opponent’s ability to play the ball’ should be penalised.”

It's a bit similar to this but in the end, I'd say Kerr didn't really challenge Williamson for the ball, so still no offside offence for me.

Back