A&H

Attempted assault on me

LHref

Hi guys,

These are becoming all too frequent, but this is the first time it has happened to me. Had a player today who, after being showed a second caution, gets up and pushes an opposition player on to the ground before turning his attention to me yelling "I'm going to F*****g kill you" and charged at my aggressively throwing a punch in my direction which I managed to avoid. I abandoned the match.

The Referee Store
Hope you're OK. Make sure to highlight the death threat should make the county come down more harshly, probably best to put the push on the player in to a separate extraordinary incident report.

How long had gone in the game?

Had there been any signs of it coming?

Sorry to hear it and there's no ulterior motive, just curious.

There was around 80 minutes gone and the game was niggly throughout with four cautions to that point, but no signs of anything like that happening

Hi guys,

These are becoming all too frequent, but this is the first time it has happened to me. Had a player today who, after being showed a second caution, gets up and pushes an opposition player on to the ground before turning his attention to me yelling "I'm going to F*****g kill you" and charged at my aggressively throwing a punch in my direction which I managed to avoid. I abandoned the match.
Well done for taking the correct action and I'm glad you're ok. You've done the right thing and don't let anyone try to convince you otherwise. Your "No. 1 fan" will be taking a longish rest from football and will have a considerably lighter wallet to carry.

Hi Bester, I am fine thanks, OK yeah that's what I have done.
Also advise the league formally.

If the players has bans of over 10 matches or 112 days in a two year period, the SCOR allow the league to further suspend him from the league after his FA ban.

He can still play football but not in that league. With a limited number of Saturday leagues, he doesn't have many options.Not many people know of it, but committees want to do this to stop idiots being their leagues.

Also advise the league formally.

If the players has bans of over 10 matches or 112 days in a two year period, the SCOR allow the league to further suspend him from the league after his FA ban.

He can still play football but not in that league. With a limited number of Saturday leagues, he doesn't have many options.Not many people know of it, but committees want to do this to stop idiots being their leagues.

This was in a County Cup match

Assuming you are/were in an Essex FA match, suggest you speak to Chris Lee ASAP, he is the ref welfare officer and a great ally. He will help you with the misconduct reporting and any other support you need.

I see a point that makes this more likely:

"This was in a County Cup match"

2 teams that dont know each other, don't have any history and are probably of two very different styles and standards. Only comng together through the chance of being in the same county.

Well done on abandoning
Stupid question coming up guys (sorry) but exactly how should a ref abandon a match, or is it simply just a case of blowing the whistle, waving your arms dismissively perhaps and saying, "okay, this match is now abandoned". ?? Genuine question. :)

Stupid question coming up guys (sorry) but exactly how should a ref abandon a match, or is it simply just a case of blowing the whistle, waving your arms dismissively perhaps and saying, "okay, this match is now abandoned". ?? Genuine question. :)

Abandoning needs to be done in an orderly confident manner just the same as any other decision. Just walking off is not sufficient and may lead to further misconduct. There is no other time where an aura of complete control (even if your faking it) is needed.
The match is now more heated than any other in your career, for perhaps the first time ever, BOTH teams will want you to change your decison: Don't.
After the moron who has caused the abandonment is back in the changing room (and I do mean back in the changing room, this is vital, if he is pitch side he may figure he has nothing to lose once you abandon). I don't care if this takes all day I will say "nothing is happening until that player is gone"
I will call in both captains, and I mean just the captains, I will not be announcing this decision to 22 people at once.
"Gents, due to the incident that just occurred this match has now been abandoned"
I will remain polite but firm to the ludicrous pleas to continue.
My actions next would very much depend on whether I thought further misconduct was likely.
If I did I would be taking a position on the pitch with EVERYONE between me and the changing room so any idiots that fancies a verbal or physical pop will have to go out of his way and I will see him coming a mile off. I will stay here until most have got bored and buggered off.
If I think I can just leave the vicinity with no further incident I will do just that.
Do not run, it makes you look weak and will encourage further misconduct.

A bit more substantial. :)
It's not something I've ever witnessed before and would hope not to, but advice on something not covered either in training or in the LOTG is always welcome.
Thank you. :cool:

For ****s sake.

Wish you a speedy return to the pitch. Makes you doubt the way you spend you weekends this nonsense

Hope you included the threat to kill in the report and potentially reported it to the police.

Best of luck fella

Just shout "screw you guys, I'm going home" in a cartman style.

Walk off safe in the knowledge your fee was sorted out before the game. :)

This.

I might try and end all my games like this regardless. Got to grab a giggle.

Wait? None of you guys just walk off and drive away like this.....

cnvrtble.gif

In all seriousness though, I'm glad you're ok. Sick of hearing about this nonsense on an almost weekly basis.

Back