A&H

Attacker in or in the way of the wall

Pete

Hi all

Just something I've been thinking about recently ...

We very often see an attacker join onto the end of a defensive wall at a ceremonial free kick, but what if this is taken a little further ...

If at the award of a free kick, a quick thinking member of the attacking team correctly anticipates where the wall will want to stand and positions himself there first; do the defending team have the right to move him or have him moved?

Adversely if the attacker takes up this position and the referee then paces the 10 yards to where the attacker is standing, is the attacker within his rights to refuse to move as he has taken up a perfectly legitimate position?

Likewise if the attacking team hear the goalkeeper order a 3/4/5 etc man wall, see the first 2 players get together and flank them either side so the wall can't be grown without having am attacker actually in amongst them?

Cheers
Pete

The Referee Store
Good question @Pete and you basically answered your own question when you said "as he has taken up a perfectly legitimate position". He is entitled to stand where he wants if he is there first. But expect a bit of pushing and shoving which possibly could get out of hand if you don't intervene. Use your player management skills (caution if you have to). Keep an eye on it when the free kick is being taken.
A similar situation often happens for corner kicks when attackers wants to stand where a keeper is standing or just in front of him.

If the attacker is exactly ten yards away, a defender can just stand behind them - if they're more than ten yards, the defender can stand in front. Same goes if there's more than one attacker. As @one says, expect some pushing and be prepared to deal with it.

Reactions: one
The attacker can stand anywhere he wants, the defender can stand anywhere he wants (at 9.15m or more away) if they both try and stand in the same place there will be potential for conflict, so to protect yourself, and manage the situation early.

My approach is to get to the area where the wall / attacker are gathering as quickly as possible the moment you see this potential scenario developing. I then clearly announce that the striker is welcome to stand there, but any leaning in will be a foul. My experience shows that a defender is very unlikely to push with hands or arms in this situation as they will be inviting a free kick closer to the goal or a PK, whilst the attacker has less to lose, hence managing this from the attacker PoV. The attacker will inevitably lean back on the wall, at that point you can call "that's leaning" which prevents this continuing, or gives you a really easy sell for the defensive free kick if the attacking kick is taken; made even better by the attackers team mates moaning at him "the ref warned you" rather than blaming me!

I use the exact same approach for the striker standing on the keeps toes at corners.

Back