A&H

Atlanta MLS Dogso-offside-or?

santa sangria

RefChat Addict

Obviously sound off if you can't handle the commentators.
Starting at 1:11

What's your decision on the Santos offside/dogso?

Reactions: one
The Referee Store
Offence occurred before the offside, no question about that. No chance it's DOGSO in my mind, ball heading his way, but nowhere near him when he's tripped. Could be SPA, but a consideration for that is the fact that if he got the ball, it would've been offside anyway, so was an attack really stopped?

Offside all the way. Even if he wasn't offside, I'm still not sure that's DOGSO - ball is high in the air, two defenders running back. Far from obvious

To anyone calling this offside an offside, I am wondering how you can consider that this player has become active...
Does the player play the ball? No.
Does the player interfere with the opponent? No.

Surely it has to be a foul. And SPA for me - no DOGSO, fails on distance combined with lack of control.

To anyone calling this offside an offside, I am wondering how you can consider that this player has become active...
Does the player play the ball? No.
Does the player interfere with the opponent? No.

Surely it has to be a foul. And SPA for me - no DOGSO, fails on distance combined with lack of control.

He's more than close enough to the opponent to make it interfering with an opponent.

A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched*
by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by:

interfering with an opponent by:
  • preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or (NOPE)
  • challenging an opponent for the ball or (NOPE)
  • clearly attempting to play a ball which is close when this action impacts on an opponent or (NOPE)
  • making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball (NOPE)

I don't think within the LOTG the player can be justified to have interfered with play.

IMO a foul and no misconduct since he was offside position. I suspect very good communication between the ref and AR here.

Reactions: one
He's more than close enough to the opponent to make it interfering with an opponent.

Under what circumstances would you say a player in an offside position could be fouled without him interfering with an opponent?

In any case it looks like the attacker was tripped just before the flick on.

Law 11. Page 98. This should settle it.

1535678613099.png

It can't be DOGSO or SPA because the fouled player can't legally play the ball so there was no attacking opportunity if you take the fouled player out of the equation.

Last edited:
I don’t think that is supported in the laws,

He doesn’t attempt to play the ball or make an obvious action to impede. He is running. The trip happens while the ball is high in the air.

In light of the previous posts are you still calling offside?

He hasn't interfered with an opponent - the foul comes first here. But being PIOP he can't legally play the ball anyway, so no DOGSO/SPA
I think the AR did well not to flag in the clip.
Ah, but the AR has comms here. He can tell the ref he's offside.

It's trickier in grassroots. As the ref, you need to check your AR before making a decision here. As the AR, how do you communicate that the player is offside? You need to get this across - if this player is onside, it's clearly a yellow, arguably a red (we can argue about it on here, but on the field, in the moment? a red is definitely a possible decision). In Australia we put the flag diagonally across the chest to indicate we want to talk to the referee (can be preceded by a raised flag), this may be the way to go. While raising the flag to indicate offside might technically be correct, because players and spectators don't know what they're on about it does risk being taken the wrong way and losing a bit of respect.

Back