A&H

Aston Villa vs Chelsea

I personally believe there was a (small ) possibility to play the ball in this instance. And in situations like those I believe it's entirely correct and completely in keeping with the spirit of the game to downgrade the sanction to a yellow. Had IFAB wished to make the bar for this more stringent, they could easily have added 'genuine' or 'realistic' to the word attempt. As they chose not to do so, I believe it's important that we attempt to apply this consistently ... as ever, whether we agree with their initial choice or not.

A&H International
If this situation happened at 1-1, 60th minute, it’d be a different discussion I think

Red card for me. He’s taken Lukaku down, with no attempt at all to play the ball.

If this situation happened at 1-1, 60th minute, it’d be a different discussion I think

Red card for me. He’s taken Lukaku down, with no attempt at all to play the ball.
There's nothing at all stopping you or @bester from going red in similar situations in the games you are managing. It's just that I think this puts you out of step with the majority of your colleagues. Also, with regard to match control, it's a much harder sell (IMO) to say there was no attempt for the ball in order to justify a red than to say there was an attempt in order to justify a yellow

There's nothing at all stopping you or @bester from going red in similar situations in the games you are managing. It's just that I think this puts you out of step with the majority of your colleagues. Also, with regard to match control, it's a much harder sell (IMO) to say there was no attempt for the ball in order to justify a red than to say there was an attempt in order to justify a yellow
I can See what you and everyone else in this thread are saying completely. I actually feel Red would be the easier sell, I think football wouldn’t be that surprised to see a red for this.

In terms of match control though, much easier to sell it as a yellow when this is essentially game over last kick of the game. If this is 0-0 early in second half though, I’d show Red no doubt.

Back