A&H

Aston Villa vs Chelsea

bester

RefChat Addict
Atkinson plays an advantage on a pull debatable whether it was DOGSO with a potentially covering player, no action taken against the puller.

Second defender wipes him out in the box with no real attempt to play the ball, gets a yellow.

4m12

Another incident: Calls on the physio(s) who enter the field of play, 'injured' players team mates tell them to go off. Played allowed to stay on.

Last edited:
A&H International
Atkinson plays an advantage on a pull debatable whether it was DOGSO with a potentially covering player, no action taken against the puller.

Second defender wipes him out in the box with no real attempt to play the ball, gets a yellow.

Another incident: Calls on the physio(s) who enter the field of play, 'injured' players team mates tell them to go off. Played allowed to stay on.
1st non caution correct, it was more spa than dogso and no longer caution on spa where advantage played.

Dogso pen yellow also correct for me. The general consensus seems to be footballing foul, ie challenge with feet is downgrade able. Pulls pushes etc reds.
Any who I think there is a minute chat ce to play the ball, he just does it very poorly in my opinion and yellow sufficient.

The first is borderline, but SPA is sellable there. So once you play advantage there is no card.

Second is a clumsy slide tackle. It's almost always going to be considered an attempt to play the ball.

I'm going with Dogso for the 'tackle' .

Litterally no attempt to play the ball. He is just hacking him down in hope they miss the penalty.

The ball is a fair distance from the villa player at any time.

I'm going with Dogso for the 'tackle' .

Litterally no attempt to play the ball. He is just hacking him down in hope they miss the penalty.

The ball is a fair distance from the villa player at any time.

Well at the professional level referees are expected to use training and guidelines even to them. FIFA, IFAB, UEFA, and the PGMOL are all very clear that this is an expected yellow card for DOGSO when it's a slide tackle or trip that is anywhere in the same county of the ball (with the obvious exceptions of SFP/VC). A red would have been very wrong.

Well at the professional level referees are expected to use training and guidelines even to them. FIFA, IFAB, UEFA, and the PGMOL are all very clear that this is an expected yellow card for DOGSO when it's a slide tackle or trip that is anywhere in the same county of the ball (with the obvious exceptions of SFP/VC). A red would have been very wrong.
So by your statement, a slide tackle into the back of the player, as a last ditch attempt to not let them score, no where near the ball, is an 'attempt to play the ball'? Therefore worthy of a yellow?

So players can 'take one for the team' and hack down players as long as its not SFP?

Never in a month of Sundays was that a "genuine" attempt to play the ball, but as CW says we all know the professional levels play by a different set of the laws

So by your statement, a slide tackle into the back of the player, as a last ditch attempt to not let them score, no where near the ball, is an 'attempt to play the ball'? Therefore worthy of a yellow?

So players can 'take one for the team' and hack down players as long as its not SFP?

At some point it becomes a red (probably for violent conduct), but this was not it.

Wasn't an "attempt" either. Defender was hooking from the opposite side, so far from the ball it was almost in a different postcode!
But it wasnt in a different post code so yellow will do me. And MA most likely get a correct KMD on his observers pad too.

I very nearly created the same thread

I want this to be a red. This is not an attempt to play the ball, it's an intentional foul.

The physio coming on then off and the player not being asked to leave was yet another example of double standards.

But it wasnt in a different post code so yellow will do me. And MA most likely get a correct KMD on his observers pad too.

The laws have a ton of situations where the dictionary definition of the word don't match what the laws intend due to the limitation of language. The people who write the laws are clear that this is meant to be an attempt to play the ball but whenever situations like this occur, people will try to use their own personal definition of what they think it should be. People can give this as a red in your game, but the players expect this to be a yellow now and so will any observer watching you.

I haven't seen the incident but...

Just as well the law does not require a "genuine" attempt. Just an attempt.
Absolutely. Let's go with the law for consist interpretation.

Dogso pen yellow also correct for me. The general consensus seems to be footballing foul, ie challenge with feet is downgrade able. Pulls pushes etc reds.
I'd like to pick you up on this if you don't mind. There is nothing in law about footballing foul Or challenge with feet. These 'inveted' terms just cause misinterpretation and inconsistency. The phrase used in law is simpler and easier to understand than any other invented term I have seen so far so let's just use it: "attempt to play the ball".

Last edited:
gettyimages-1237427523-2048x2048.jpg

If cynically hooking an opponent's left leg with you right leg, with the ball on your opponent's right side and not even remotely close to playing distance to you is considered an "attempt" to play the ball, the game is doomed.

With this as the "expected" application of the law, I for one am glad I am no longer refereeing!

View attachment 5366

If cynically hooking an opponent's left leg with you right leg, with the ball on your opponent's right side and not even remotely close to playing distance to you is considered an "attempt" to play the ball, the game is doomed.

With this as the "expected" application of the law, I for one am glad I am no longer refereeing!
In reality the trajectory of the ball before lukakus last touch was where the player ended up.
This isn't as cynical as you think. If it is its a brain dead logic because its a pen and one of the best pen takers in the league

View attachment 5366

If making an attempt is scaled 0-10, this is a 1, . He is of course nowhere near the ball and but, its still an attempt,

same as if I tried to score a penalty, scuffing the ball and it rolled less than a yard. It might be the worst oenalty of all time,but, its still an attempt.

Are you gping red for v/c? Hopefully not, leaving it a tackle, which in turn makes it a yellow.

Last edited:
Where a player commits an offence against an opponent within their own penalty area which denies an opponent an obvious goal-scoring opportunity and the referee awards a penalty kick, the offender is cautioned if the offence was an attempt to play the ball; in all other circumstances (e.g. holding, pulling, pushing, no possibility to play the ball etc.) the offending player must be sent off.

Back